Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro '12, screen glitches, freezes and then restarts

Hi everyone,

This just started happening last week. My macbook will have a screen glitch with pixelated squares (usually around the edges of the screen) for a split second and then my screen will freeze. Then the computer will automatically restarts itself. I took it to the apple store. They had it for 3 days and could not duplicate the issue. They said all the hardware is fine and for me to erase and reinstall the OS. When I got home, the macbook did it again! So I reinstalled Yosemite. It was working fine for like 3 hours and it glitched, froze and restarted again. I'm so frustrated!!!!! Especially because the genius bar feels hopeless at the point. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue. Thank you 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:20 PM

Sounds like a graphic processor module failure. My daughter's 2011 MBP was behaving very much like that. First time to the Genius Bar it passed all the tests. Finally it hung completely, she took it back and they replaced the logic board.

Keep after them with this, they will eventually get it right and fix it.

5 replies

Jul 7, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

My MBP is still getting worse, so I went to a different apple store yesterday. They ran a fast diagnostics and couldn't find anything again. I left the laptop again hoping they would find something with more intense testing. I told them about the logic board but the logic board is okay according to the tests. How long did it take for your daughter's computer to finally fail?

Macbook Pro '12, screen glitches, freezes and then restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.