Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoto - Deleting Photos

Hi,

I'm trying to clean up some disk space on my hard drive, I deleted several hundred photos in IPhoto, then under "File" went to "Show Recently Deleted" which displayed all the photos I had deleted with each file showing it would be permanently deleted in 30 days, I then clicked "Delete All" which cleaned the page and the caption now says "No Recently Deleted Items".

When I go to my hard-drive no change has been made, I don't see any additional disk space?

Back in the old days you could click on delete iPhoto trash, these recent "Upgrades" have much to be desired.

I'm Using:

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OS X Yosemite V- 10.10.4

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:20 PM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2015 7:37 PM in response to garyfromfort worth

YYou have to make a distinction between iPhoto and Photos. Just because you delete an image from Photos does not delete it from iPhoto, therefore the image is still on your drive.

If you feel comfortable that all your images successfully migrated yo Photos, you can delete the entire iPhoto Library from your Pictures folder. I would, however, suggest making a backup of it yo an external drive "just in case."

Jul 4, 2015 10:14 PM in response to garyfromfort worth

IPhoto and Photo, each are 77GB so when I remove the IPhoto library it will free up a ton of space

No it will free up very little space since the photos are hard linked not duplicated - Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

However since yu are deleting photos from the Photos library the originals will not be removed since iPhoto still has a lhard link to them so to the extent that you have deleted photos those will reduce space requirements

LN

IPhoto - Deleting Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.