Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro keeps getting black screen

Recently this just happened to my Macbook Pro retina (mid 2012). while i'm using it, it just suddenly goes black screen. The computer is still on, i can hear the fan still going and the capslock key still turns green when its pressed, so i'm sure it's still on and the screen just went black

And the only thing i could do is force shutdown by holding down power button. When i switch it on, sometimes it still has a black screen with the chime played. sometimes i let it rest for a bit then switch it on, it works. But sooner or later it will turn black screen again.

I've tried some of the solutions i read online which is reset PRAM and PMU. It did switch on my Macbook without a blackscreen but still it will turn blackscreen after few mintues of using.

Also i've noticed if i switch on game like Dirt 3, it will crash to a black screen. I wonder if its GPU failure.

Hope i could get some answers from you guys, so that i know what exactly to fix. Cheers.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:40 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:02 PM in response to Datjaydoe

" PMU. It did switch on my Macbook without a blackscreen but still it will turn blackscreen after few mintues of using."

Wow, "PMU" is a term that refers to the old Power Management in the Power PC Macs. That chip is now called the SMC:

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If it's running and you only see a black screen, use a flashlight and see if the desktop is still there just no backlight.

" if i switch on game like Dirt 3, it will crash to a black screen. I wonder if its GPU failure."

Is it a 15"?

Apple Recall

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Jul 5, 2015 1:44 AM in response to spudnuty

My bad, its SMC. yes i did that and it still happens. My mac is running i'm sure it's not the backlight because i did check my screen with a flashlight and it's just blank. I also did (AHT) Apple Hardware Test and results show nothing.

i guess i'll contact Apple about the recalls. Perhaps my problem falls under Unexpected restart/ shutdowns.

Jul 5, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Datjaydoe

"i guess i'll contact Apple about the recalls. Perhaps my problem falls under Unexpected restart/ shutdowns."

So it's a 15" or 17"?

Try a hard reset. Disconnect the battery (open the bottom and pull the connector off. Use your fingernails.) and power adapter. Press the power button for 1 minute. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, Reconnect and try to start up.

No? - Go through the same procedure and try to start without the battery connected.

The addendum to this would be to try a known good battery.

This would be for a "no start" scenario but basically it's the SMC reset w/ a battery you can remove.

Do you have an older OS to try booting into?

Was this after the 10.10.4 update?

Macbook pro keeps getting black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.