Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot join airport express to network

i have a 5th gen airport base station extreme that runs fine. i am trying to put on my airport express (not sure which one, but it is the white one). I had them running fine in the states and have moved to Korea.

the express lights up, airport utility saw it, but could not connect. i restarted my laptop (macbook air 2011 with 10.10.4) now nothing. it does not recognise nor see it anymore.

any ideas?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 4g ram

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:37 PM

11 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to James McKinstry

i am trying to put on my airport express (not sure which one, but it is the white one).

All four of the AirPort Express versions are white, so a model number....found on the side or bottom of the AirPort Express would likely provide more useful clues as to what you might have. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Possible model numbers would be A1084, A1088, A1264, A1392. The A1392 also looks just like a miniature version of the 5th Gen AirPort Extreme.

Your profile indicates that you are using OS X Yosemite (10.10.1). Are you still running this version, or have you updated to (10.10.4)?

Jul 4, 2015 9:20 PM in response to James McKinstry

OK, thanks for the info.

The A1264 version was introduced in June of 2008 and discontinued in June of 2012, so depending on when you purchased the product, it is at least 3 years old and as much as 7.

On average, the useful live of the A1264 is about 3-4 years, so that might be a factor here.

Power off the AirPort Extreme for a minute, then power it back up.

Temporarily, move the AirPort Express to the same room or close proximity to the AirPort Extreme

Power up the Express for a minute, then hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

User uploaded file

Click on the WiFi icon at the top of the MacBook Air's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that, click directly on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

You can also use an iPhone or iPad

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Look for a listing of Set Up a New Base Station

Tap on AirPort Express

That will get the setup wizard running

It will take a minute to analyze the network, then suggest that the Express will be configured to "extend" the AirPort Extreme network, similar to this example:

User uploaded file

Enter a name that you want to call the AirPort Express. Keep it short and simple

Click or tap Next

The wizard will set up everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click or tap Done

Move the AirPort Express to a location that is about half way between the AirPort Extreme and the general area where you need more wireless coverage. The more that you have line-of-sight between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express the better and more reliable the performance will be.

Jul 4, 2015 9:43 PM in response to James McKinstry

I'm not trying to be cute here, but all AirPorts that fail were working just before they had problems. I lost an Express only about a week ago that was working one minute and the next it could not be setup again.

There is really not much that you can do other than keep trying.

I doubt that it will help, but you could try a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Express. If you decide to try that......

Power off the Express for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button first....and keep holding it in for an additional 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Express

Release the reset button after the hold period

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Try again. If you have been using a Mac, try an iPhone or iPad, or vice versa.

Jul 6, 2015 5:57 AM in response to Clarence Prince1

This is a totally different issue than what is being discussed in this thread.

Please start a new post and include the model number of the AirPort Express (on the side of the Express.....it starts with an "A" followed by four numbers)....and...what operating system you are using on your Mac or PC or mobile device that will be used to setup the Express.

Cannot join airport express to network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.