Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't mount an unlocked encrypted partition from my WD External HD

I had been using an WD 500 GB External Hard Drive for backing up my files for a while.

I used to back up files using Time Machine, but I could also copy and paste files directly to the HD.

Every time I plugged the device, the computer would ask for a password because I chose the encrypted mode.

A few weeks ago I tried to use the HD again but it wouldn't appear on devices (it never asked for the password again) , so I went to disc utility and found the information bellow.

Apparently, the disc (BackUP MAC Marina) was mounted and there were files stored on the disk, but I couldn't find a way to access them.

I tried to repair it, but it wasn't possible through disk utility.

User uploaded file

A friend of mine took a look at the HD using a PC, but he couldn't find any files and wasn't able to solve the problem.

I don't know exactly what happened, but I think he could create a new partition on a Windows NTFS (Marina).

So, when I plug the device on my mac this is how it appears on Disc Utility:

User uploaded file

But now, the "BackUp MAC Marina" Disc is appearing as not mounted and all the info is blank:User uploaded file:

I've tried some moves on Terminal after reading about the subject on the internet, but nothing would work.

All the files I had on "BackUp MAC Marina" are unique, I don't have a copy anywhere else 😟

Do you think there's anything to be done to recover these data?

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

If anyone have any ideas of what I could do to try to access and recover my files (basically photos) , please let me know.

Bellow I'm attaching two screenshots I got from the terminal, just in case.

User uploaded file

________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________

User uploaded file

Thank you veeery much!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:55 PM

There are no replies.

Can't mount an unlocked encrypted partition from my WD External HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.