Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I connect with Wifi but not ethernet

Hi Folks,

I have 2 fully updated AppleTVs. One is a v2 while the other is a v3. In both cases they will connect to my local network and the internet by WiFi but not by ethernet. In typical Apple fashion it is all set up to be automatic and works wonderfully until I attach an ethernet cable.

While connected by WiFi they have a normal looking IP address like: 198.168.178.21. However, when I attach a cable this IP address will change radically to look like 198.254.0.43. It acts as if they are connected but trying to see anything on Youtube or Netflix doesn't work. Removing the cable solves the problem.

I had a go at manually inputting the network settings but - as I was just guessing - it didn't help.

Despite the AppleTVs looking like they are connected with weird IP addresses when the cable is inserted my modem/router doesn't show them as being connected. They are there loud and proud when on WiFi.

You have probably guessed that I know very little about networking and I'm easily confused (why do different manufacturers of networking equipment use so many different labels for the same settings?) so please be gentle with me if I've missed something obvious. 😁

Cheers,

Grant

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 9:14 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Grant Crosthwaite

the only thing that happens from the appletv's side when an ethernet cable is inserted is that wifi is disabled

many use ethernet but some routers keep wifi and ethernet as separate networks unless the user bridge them in the router configuration

so on a separate network the appletv would not be able to talk with the rest of the devices on the wifi and may not have internet connection at all depending on the network setup

Why can I connect with Wifi but not ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.