Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a 1st-gen Time Capsule from 2008 with a MacBook Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

I cannot afford a new Time Capsule but someone offers me a first-generation Apple Time Capsule, 500GB, for 49$ via craigslist.

Can I use this Time Capsule with my MacBook?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:02 AM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2015 3:34 AM in response to anton.kratz

Yes.. but.. big fat ugly BUTT

A Gen1 TC with only 500GB is very old and likely very tired unless it has been worked on.. ie power supply replaced or refurbished.. so value for money might not really be there..

I would look for a Gen3 which has 1TB disk ( a few had 2TB) much lower heat and much faster processor and wireless.. and it might cost you $80 at most..

If you want to buy into second hand at least buy the value for money one.

Jul 5, 2015 6:52 AM in response to anton.kratz

The power supply on the 1st Gen Time Capsule was way under engineered. It lacked sufficient power, and ran much too hot, since the Apple engineers forgot about how to keep the device cool. Apple was forced into a major recall of the product. For that reason, most 1st Gen Time Capsules did not make it to 18 months of age. A few made it to 36 months.

The fact that a 1st Gen Time Capsule might be working at all would be somewhat miraculous. Hopefully the model that you are considering has had both the power supply and hard drive replaced. You might want to ask the owner about this.

Can I use a 1st-gen Time Capsule from 2008 with a MacBook Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.