Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there no new 17inch MacBook Pro available?

Why is Apple not making new MacBook Pros with 17inch screen available? 15inch just doesnt cut it for me...

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:34 AM

Because Apple does not make them.

4 replies

Jul 5, 2015 4:01 AM in response to sandi lloyd

No one knows why Apple discontinued the 17". There were probably several factors, one of which they may not have sold as well as Apple hoped for. Therefore not justifying the continued cost of making them. These days 17+" laptops are getting scarce even on the PC side. I'd be very surprised if they revived the line, smaller and lighter is the main theme these days.

Jul 5, 2015 10:56 AM in response to sandi lloyd

sandi lloyd wrote:

Why is Apple not making new MacBook Pros with 17inch screen available? 15inch just doesnt cut it for me...

While there's no official definitive answer, one possible explanation may lie in why the "15inch just doesnt cut it for" you.

If it's a matter of poor vision, then a larger screen with larger stuff on it makes sense. But if it's screen real-estate, the standard resolution of a Retina display can be increased substantially in the Displays Preferences panel so that all the stuff that would fit on a 17" screen would fit on the Retina's 15" screen too, just smaller. And there is third party software (e.g., Eye-Friendly in the App Store) which can increase the effective resolution even further, if your eyes are up to it.

Why are there no new 17inch MacBook Pro available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.