Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtone Issues

Hi everyone,

Since the newest iTunes update (12.2.0.145), all my .m4r ringtone files have now been lumped in with my normal music - and the option to change the Media Kind in the drop down menu to "Ringtone" has gone...

In my tones, there is now only ONE song, and in the Sync menu, although the option to sync tones is there, it's now only recognising this 1 tone - and not all the other .m4r files (even though that file type is specifically for ringtones!)

Anyone else have this issue? Would copying the files and pasting them in to iTunes again make it recognise them correctly? Or is the fact that the ringtone option for Media Kind disappearing gonna make this irrelevant?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 2:15 AM

I posted a fix to this issue (worked for me, at least) on this support page.

Custom ringtones no longer listed in iTunes 12.2

It involves locating the files, then removing the ringtones' album data and switching the artist data to "Tones" -- all in an effort to recreate iTunes' old way of handling ringtones properly. I got all my old ringtones to function again; hopefully it will work for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2015 2:15 AM in response to CubOz

I posted a fix to this issue (worked for me, at least) on this support page.

Custom ringtones no longer listed in iTunes 12.2

It involves locating the files, then removing the ringtones' album data and switching the artist data to "Tones" -- all in an effort to recreate iTunes' old way of handling ringtones properly. I got all my old ringtones to function again; hopefully it will work for you.

Ringtone Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.