Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate from mac to mac and still be able to use the old external backups with time machine new mac?

Macbook Pro --->Migrate ---> iMac

I have a Time Machine backup on two separate hard drives for my Macbook Pro and when i'm going to migrate to my new iMac i want to be able to use the old backups on those hard drives that are listed under "Macbook Pro of MyName".

So after the migration if i want to setup my Time Machine with iMac again can i use the same harddrive(s) without erasing it and continue the backups where i left off? Or does the Time Machine start a new backup folder and you won't be able to use the older ones with TM?

Hope someone can help me with this.

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 10:00 AM

Hello krijnpalm,

A few days ago I migrated to a new Retina MacBook Pro from an older MacBook Pro. When you are ready to connect your existing Time Machine backup device to your new Mac it should present you with a message similar to this:

User uploaded file

I chose the Inherit Backup History option. This has enabled me to continue with the backups from where it left off.

As noted in the above screenshot, if you inherit the backup, it can no longer be used by the original/old Mac.

I hope this helps you decide.

Kind regards,

Antony.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 10:00 AM in response to krijnpalm

Hello krijnpalm,

A few days ago I migrated to a new Retina MacBook Pro from an older MacBook Pro. When you are ready to connect your existing Time Machine backup device to your new Mac it should present you with a message similar to this:

User uploaded file

I chose the Inherit Backup History option. This has enabled me to continue with the backups from where it left off.

As noted in the above screenshot, if you inherit the backup, it can no longer be used by the original/old Mac.

I hope this helps you decide.

Kind regards,

Antony.

Jul 5, 2015 11:35 AM in response to krijnpalm

You're welcome Krijn.

Yes, the message will pop up with the option to inherit although it might take several seconds to a minute before it appears on your screen.

I have two separate Time Machine backup drives and the message has appeared on each occasion when I have connected a device.

I migrated my data using a thunderbolt cable between the two Macs rather than restore from a Time Machine backup.

Good luck and enjoy your new iMac 😉

Kind regards,

Antony.

Jul 6, 2015 2:11 PM in response to krijnpalm

Hello again Krijn,

I decided to use the Mac to Mac route with a thunderbolt cable as I thought it might be quicker than restoring from a backup on an external drive. In the end, it took 3 hours to transfer approximately 300GB of data across using migration assistant. To be honest, I don't think it makes that much difference which option you chose, unless someone can advise us otherwise?

One thing I did notice, when I used migration assistant, was the fact it that it copied the contents of the Trash can from the old Mac to the new Mac! I had deleted, but not emptied, over 50GB of data I no longer needed (including a Parallels virtual machine file at 25GB) which subsequently appeared in the Trash can on my new Mac. Something to bear in mind!

Kind regards,

Antony.

Migrate from mac to mac and still be able to use the old external backups with time machine new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.