Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple AV Composite Cable v's Elgato Video Capture

Can anyone please tell me if the Apple AV Composite Cable will work like - or is it the same as the Elgato Viedo Capture cable.

I would like to transfer my old VHS videos onto my Apple iMac and need to know if the Apple AV Composite Cable is the one i should buy that will work with my VHS machine and iMac ? Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:31 AM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2015 5:15 AM in response to Tat2fever

if this is what you mean

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748AM/A/apple-composite-av-cable

then it will enable older ipads to display on tv's if the app it's running on a tv screen in rather low resolution because composite is only able to support 576i

if the product you mean is some thunderbolt -> composite then it will do the same for a mac but the apps would not have to support it the tv would just act as a rather low res second monitor it would likely not do mirror of the main mac screen as it's much much much higher res then the 576i

elgato devices are tv tuners and input of video streams for displaying and recording on a supported computer

so one could say the composite cable and the elgato are the direct opposites of each other

Jul 5, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Tat2fever

I did it on windows a few years back with an hauppauge tvtuner which also supported composite and made an ancient analog video recorders tapes into dvd's it worked fine but yes you will need a elgato or other tvtuner which support OS X to make it work

the things you can connect to the imac directly are always output only

Jul 5, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Tat2fever

Roxio used to sell a VHS to DVD Converter kit that had a USB Capture device included in the box. see > Roxio Easy VHS to DVD

The Problem is that while the Capture Device still works with my newer Mac's and OS X's. The old Roxio Toast 9 software does not and needs to be updated to the newer version.

---------------------------

I'm not sure what Software you are planning on using, but I'm pretty sure that most any USB Video Capture Device will work the same as that more expensive elgato one.

Apple AV Composite Cable v's Elgato Video Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.