Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This computer is already associated with an Apple ID!?!

So, I have a Mac that I share with my wife (two user accounts with diff Apple IDs) both paired with separate iPhones and my wife's account also paired with iPad. Until recently I didn't have my own iTunes account and used my wife's and downloaded apps etc from it. Both Mac user accounts were therefore utilising the same iTunes account and a shared iTunes media folder, but seperate libraries. We don't use 'Family Sharing'.

With Apple Music now out, we've decided to split our iTunes media folder and I now have my own iTunes account, as we want seperate apple music accounts so our music doesnt all get lumped in together. Basically we've split everything properly between the Mac user profiles.

However, we have run into a problem. My wife has a past purchase on her iPhone that she wants to (re)download into her itunes library on the Mac. We are getting the 'this computer is already associated with an Apple ID' message and be notified thst this can't be changed for 90 days.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and any fix?

Is it because I've set up new iTunes account and accidentally nicked everything from the old iTunes account, so it thinks I'm on the rob.

I assume it is possible to have two separate Apple IDs with different iTunes accounts on a Mac via two user accounts or is this not possible? Perhaps the problem only relates to old purchases. Moving forward will new purchases work smoothly and separately between the two accounts/profiles?

MIghtily confused!!!! Any help greatly appreciated!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 5:30 AM

6 replies

Jul 5, 2015 6:16 AM in response to stopwn

Your creating a new AppleID resulted in a recent authorization. For certain purposes such as re-downloading you cannot switch between authorizations more than once every 90 days. Basically Apple likely had to introduce that feature at the behest of the media distributors who do not want a person logging in with a friend's ID, downloading all their buddy's purchases, then going back and re-downloading their own purchases. The by-the-book solution is you should always have your entire computer backed up so if you are missing an item you recover it from your backup. The re-download thing is a convenience, particularly for remote access from a mobile device, but it is not a substitute for having a proper backup.

Yes, you can have separate IDs on the computer and do what you want to do and in 90 days you can re-download to any authorized account. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1965166?answerId=24882102022#24882102022 - "I have purchases from my mothers Itunes account and fathers different Itunes account, so the music I would like to hear in my new itune library on a different MCBPro is split in two. So how can I authorise to [two] apple ids?"

Re: iTunes account Query

Manage your associated devices in iTunes - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204074 - In connection with, "When you turn on iTunes Match, Family Sharing, or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, that device becomes associated with your Apple ID. You can associate your Apple ID with up to 10 devices, with a maximum of 5 computers at any time. Each computer must also be authorized using the same Apple ID. You don't need to authorize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. After you associate a device with your Apple ID, you can't associate that device with another Apple ID for 90 days."

This computer is already associated with an Apple ID!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.