Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Functions keys not working following a touchpad replacement

So I have just collected my Macbook from servicing 2 days ago following a problem I had with my touchpad ghost clicking without me actually clicking. Apple found the problem and they replaced the touchpad on my Macbook Air 13" Early 2014.

However, now the function keys on my keyboard are not working. I cannot change the volume, screen brightness or anything.

I have done the following steps:

• Made sure the 'Use F1 F2 Keys as standard function keys' is unchecked.
  • Reset PRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • Formatted the disk and then reinstalled Yosemite without logging back on Apple ID account
  • Created a new User

The problem persists. What can the issue be? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Early 2014 13" Version

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:59 AM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2015 12:08 PM in response to iwillthinkofsomething

First thing to check: System Preferences > Keyboard and make sure Use fll F1, F2 keys as standard function keys is selected!

If that isn't it try:

Goto System Preferences and choose Keyboard and delete/re-add your input sources. Try other language keyboards to see if the problem is with identifying the correct keyboard.

Try using another keyboard (USB or BlueTooth) and seeing if the problem is specific to your keyboard.

Functions keys not working following a touchpad replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.