Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an external display immediately from boot?

I have a MacBook Pro 17" Early-2011 with a busted screen (it stopped working, and it wasn't worth replacing). So I have an external monitor instead that I hook up to it.

One thing I have noticed is that it's not used directly from boot unless I close the lid on the MBP physically. This happens even though I ran `sudo nvram boot-args="niog=1"` (typing from memory, but I ran the right command) to disable the internal display.

If I close the lid, then the monitor will be used properly. But I'm a little concerned about overheating, even though I've also read that it's a myth.

If it won't overheat, then I guess that's the solution, but is there a way to make it use the external monitor directly from boot? Currently connected via a VGA-to-mini-DP (Thunderbolt) adapter.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Early 2011

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Jul 5, 2015 8:37 AM in response to kkaland

"Is this fine in terms of ventilation, etc.?"

Some have said that ventilation occurs up through the keyboard but the way these Unibody MBPs are made:

User uploaded file

That large black thing you see is the keyboard backlight and it covers the entire bottom of the keyboard which is also made of multiple layers of plastic. Therefore almost no flow ventilation occurs. Just a small amount of contact radiation, if that.

So, yes, clamshell mode works just fine.

Can I use an external display immediately from boot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.