Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i uninstall iTunes 12.2 and go back to 12.1?

It seems the new iTunes ain't for me. My library is too big and any dealing with the iTunes database is like swimming through molasses.

Any ideas how I uninstall 12.2 and revert to 12.1?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:56 AM

First you need iTunes 12.1 which you will no longer find linked on Apple's web site since who in their right mind would prefer anything except the newest and best? Apple does not like third party sites providing iTunes downloads (and will get them removed) and you need to be leery of those anyway since there is potential for other things to be installed too. This, however, is Apple's server --> https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/031-19002.20150409.9C24E/iTunes12.1.2 .dmg

One person said all they did was delete the new application using Terminal commands and install the old one. I wonder about this. Typically a new version will install things all over the place which only work with the newer version and when you install an older one the installer will complain or fail or at best result in all kinds of errors when you try to run iTunes.

More typically you have to use special steps and helper applications to run a complete downgrade.

Then you also need old copies of your library files which get irreversibly updated when opened by a newer iTunes.

A general web search for something such as "iTunes downgrade" will uncover detailed instructions.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 6:56 AM in response to jayessemm

First you need iTunes 12.1 which you will no longer find linked on Apple's web site since who in their right mind would prefer anything except the newest and best? Apple does not like third party sites providing iTunes downloads (and will get them removed) and you need to be leery of those anyway since there is potential for other things to be installed too. This, however, is Apple's server --> https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/031-19002.20150409.9C24E/iTunes12.1.2 .dmg

One person said all they did was delete the new application using Terminal commands and install the old one. I wonder about this. Typically a new version will install things all over the place which only work with the newer version and when you install an older one the installer will complain or fail or at best result in all kinds of errors when you try to run iTunes.

More typically you have to use special steps and helper applications to run a complete downgrade.

Then you also need old copies of your library files which get irreversibly updated when opened by a newer iTunes.

A general web search for something such as "iTunes downgrade" will uncover detailed instructions.

Jul 5, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks Limnos.

Oh man ... I think I'm in trouble!

I just tried to drag one song into the library and it took three minutes of the spinning beach ball. Then trying to switch from the album view to the song view the ball just kept spinning and after five minutes I had to force quit.

I'll get searching and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for your help and if you (or anyone) have other ideas please share.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2015 2:28 PM in response to jayessemm

I would like to uninstall iTunes 12.2 as well -- I can no longer access my playlists in Sonos. I upgraded only on my macAir which is currently my primarily computer. I have not yet upgraded my desktop mac to 12.2. If I managed to uninstall 12.2, couldn't I airdrop the old version of iTunes to my laptop?

Has anyone tried to uninstall?

Jul 5, 2015 2:34 PM in response to colleenjs

Uninstall? Is that something on a Mac? I use an older OS but I have never heard of uninstall. Even if it exists I doubt it would work with iTunes which has now become part of the operating system.

iTunes installs many files in many places, some of which require special administrator access. I would be extremely surprised if you could just drop the main application from another computer onto iTunes and have it work (in fact it would require special administrator access to do even that).

Jul 6, 2015 8:09 AM in response to jayessemm

If it is slow because you have a huge library, well, select half of your library and delete it. Problem solved. 😉 Well, that, or disable the feature as Rysz instructed. Doing things on computers takes a finite amount of time per item and the more you have the longer it takes unless you go out and buy the fastest computer you can.

Jul 6, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Limnos

If it runs faster with half my music imagine how fast it will go with no music! :-)

There is obviously something under the hood of 12.2 because the problem only happened with the jump from 12.1 to 12.2. (12.1 ain't great but at least it worked most of the time -- except for a wonky search function -- and the beach ball didn't spin.)

Another user told me they have the same problem and they have a brand new computer with 32 Mb of RAM.

I checked those things Rysz suggested and those changes don't help.

Jul 9, 2015 10:14 PM in response to Audio Texture

I tried this and could not drop iTunes into AppCleaner. I remembered that when I had previously tried to restore from Time Machine that I had received a message saying that iTunes could not be modified as it was required by OS X. I looked into this message further, and found these instructions how to fix that. Even though after changing the permissions I still could not use AppCleaner - it disappeared whenever I tried to drag iTunes into it - I was able to restore both the iTunes app and the iTunesLibrary.itl file using Time Machine. All is well now. http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/13/delete-itunes-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

how do i uninstall iTunes 12.2 and go back to 12.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.