Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Touch Capacity and Temperture

second try- as Apple removed first post because "the host" stated, it contained an unallowed keyword - if "someone" would have read it before deleting, they would have seen, that it did not affect the rules 😟

ok,anyway :

just replaced my good old Ipod Nano (8GB 4.th.gen) with a Ipod Toch (16G latest gen)

just to have a bit more space for music.

I used the Ipod since years in my car connected to the head unit (Honda, Mazda) and the worked fine.

Two things i have to criticize now :

1) capacity : the IPod Nano had a nominal cap of 8 GB from which 7.5 were usable, thats nearly 95%

The Touch has a nominal cap of 16GB, but only <12GB usable, thats 75% and a bit disappointing, because even in the compare chart of the different Ipods Aplles doesn't even mention with a word, the the nominal capacity is not comparable....i think that should be changed

2) the most seen screen on the Ipod touch is the temp warning :-(

The Nano works fine for years without any limitation, and we had hot summers too (even here in germany...) But the Touch is not usable in the car since weeks. OK, i know, it is slim, has thousands of functions and a fast processor. But the nominal max temp. of 35° is just a joke . Yes... I check it with the old specs of the Nano - in fact the old also have that restriction - but it work at the beach lying in the sun - and the Touch does'nt work in the car.

Does someone have the same experience, just be ensure thats its not a problem of my device before i go back to some older Nano?

iPod touch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 7:14 AM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2015 7:56 AM in response to rolost

The difference between the advertised capacity, 16 GB and that available to the the user is due to two things:

- How GB is advertised and reported by the system. See:

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

The different is larger the larger capacity

- and the amount of storage taken by the operating system. The operating system on the touch is a lot larger than that on a Nano

- Regarding temperature, inform Apple here

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

Ipod Touch Capacity and Temperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.