Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule from now only killing my time, it was change time stamp at all files

Hello.

I have a big problem, that’s costs years of my working with my home video files.

2 month ago i was bought in Russia time capsule apple with 3TB storage for my home video files.

Today i checked, that my Time Capsule changing the date stamp from real to 19 january 2068 when i copy files to it with CMD + ALT + V.

That’s unreal problem for me, i don’t know ho to restore all my video with real date.

Hate this thing.

Sorry for bad english.

I was a fan of Apple, but i now i don’t know how to buy next Apple product.

<Link Edited By Host>

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), null

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 7:19 AM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2015 2:44 PM in response to VadimShvetsov

The TC was never designed as a place to store files or as a NAS..

It is a target for Time Machine backups.. and specifically for laptops using wireless.

Although the time stamp issue on files is a new one to me.. I do not know what is causing it.

If you do a get info view of the files it should show the actual file creation date and the last time it was opened. Are those dates also wrong.

Does it have the correct time server selected and is it able to actually pick up time??

I am just not sure what your setup is.. but if the TC is setup as part of the existing networking then it should be able to pick up that info.

The current version of the airport utility is useless.. none of the time info is available. Please use the older v5 airport utility to both check where the TC is setup and if the time stamp is correct.. also check the log if something major has gone wrong. eg if the TC cannot get time info from a time server it might then fail to give the right date.. although normally it would be using older time stamp not one in 50years time.

Oct 4, 2015 3:02 AM in response to drew2211

I have seen a few posts since this one.. unfortunately searching for the time stamp issue is really hard because it is name of the Time Capsule and Time Machine.. so issues with Time Stamps are hard to distinguish.

The file creation date will be affected by the TC if it doesn't connect to a time server.. however time server setup is automatic and nowhere do apple allow you to see it.. or know what is going on. Even the older utility has no ability to change the Time Server so you cannot see it.

Was the TC purchased recently?? Is it from the same country you are now living in?

Save the configuration file from the airport utility and check the time stamps in it.. there should be a few for the IP leases if it is used in dhcp mode..

If not then you might not be able to find much info at all.. I will continue to hunt around but there doesn't seem much we can do.. if it is in warranty and you have applecare, ring apple and see if their support people have any suggestions.

Oct 4, 2015 5:45 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the update.

TC was purchased almost 2 years ago, there is no apple-care anymore, there were no country/location changes involved, and I did not face the time-stamp issue until this occurrence.

Am not very technical, and am not sure what to do with respect to the 4th paragraph (= "Save the configuration file...").

But thanks anyway!

Oct 4, 2015 2:43 PM in response to drew2211

well I can explain the last part easily.

Go to the airport utility and click the TC. Then click edit

User uploaded file

Go to the top menu of airport utility and you will now be able to export the configuration.

User uploaded file

There is some stuff about passwords which you can ignore.. save it as you like.. I always click it off as I want to see as much info as possible.

The file will be saved in your documents folder. From my TC name.. tcgen4 it will save the file as tcgen4.baseconfig

Do not double click it.. you must select the app to open it with.

It is in xml format and should be opened in say textedit.

Search for time.. and it will show lease times for computers.. but only if you are running dhcp.

Here is mine.. from long long ago.. but you get the idea.

User uploaded file

What I would do is a factory reset of the TC and start over completely new setup.

As follows. This is stating Yosemite but it applies to any OS since Snow Leopard.. Mavericks Yosemite and most likely El Capitan all made a mess of things by using SMB protocol instead of AFP. That is why this is more essential than ever on later OS.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when Yosemite cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the PRAM.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Someone posted a solution.. See this thread.

Macbook can't find Time Capsule anymore

Start from the bottom and work up.. I have a list of good network practice changes but I have avoided Yosemites bug heaven.

Yosemite has serious DNS bug in the networking application.. here is the lets say more arcane method of fixing it by doing a network transplant from mavericks.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Time Capsule from now only killing my time, it was change time stamp at all files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.