Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2.0 - after re-creating my library, there is no NEW Tunes Library.xml !

Hello there ! 🙂

After installing iTunes 12.2.0 I have a strange issue. I boot the PC (Windows 7, 32 bit).

I launch iTunes, and everything seems fine.

After I close iTunes, it won't launch again unless I reboot Windows.

I tried several solutions and I even re-created my iTunes library by following this guide:

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - Apple Support

So now I have a re-created library but: when I go to my iTunes folder I see that there is no new Tunes Library.xml file.

I only see a newly created iTunes Library.itl file.

I do have the old iTunes Library.xml file at my desktop. But what do I do ? Do I expect iTunes to create a new XML file within the iTunes folder?

Do I not need an XML file within that folder? Or should I move my old XML file from my desktop back to the iTunes folder ?

Really confused, because the guide ( iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - Apple Support ) states that we should "Drag the "iTunes Library.xml" or "iTunes Music Library.xml" file to the Desktop" and as a last step "Navigate to the "iTunes Library.xml" file on the Desktop."

It does not clarify what I should do with the XML file I still have at my desktop and whether a new XML file is supposes to be generated within the iTunes folder.

I hope someone would shed a light on this.

Thank you in advance

iPhone 4S, Windows 7, 4 GB RAM / iTunes / iPod Classic 120GB

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:03 AM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2015 9:21 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thank you for the reply.

But actually the problem I had, (iTunes launching only the 1st time after a reboot and then not launching again until I reboot) seems to be solved by re-creating the library the old way... (via the XML file).

So the question (for now) really is what I should do with the library XML file not being shown within the iTunes folder.

Jul 5, 2015 9:28 AM in response to IoannisGR

The iTunes Library.xml is created by iTunes when it makes any updates to your library - its primary purpose is to allow 3rd party applications to use a subset of the information in the iTunes database. Apple's "official" guidance on using the XML file to recreate a library is really only applicable when something's happened to corrupt or remove your library database (the iTunes Library.itl file), and you don't have a recent archived copy, and you don't have a backup of your library that you can restore. There is a new option in iTunes 12.2:

User uploaded file

If this isn't selected then its possible that the XML file may not be created/updated - I've not yet had opportunity to determine exactly what happens in this case.

With respect to the iTunes launch issue, I suspect that there may be an issue with one of iTunes' components not working correctly. It may be worth removing all components the current iTunes installation (and any left over from previous versions) and reinstalling 12.2. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for the details of how to achieve this.

Jul 5, 2015 9:37 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thank you again.

Before re-creating the library I followed all the other steps.

I started with removing / deleting my old iTunes installation by following this guide:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

...with no result.

Then I followed all the steps described here:

Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

My issue was user - specific. Other users I had and created on my windows did not have this problem (with a new library though, each one)

So I followed the instructions given : "Create a new iTunes library to see if the issue occurs in a new library. If using a new iTunes library resolves the issue, recreate your old library in your new one."

So I followed the library re-creation guide: iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - Apple Support

iTunes 12.2.0 - after re-creating my library, there is no NEW Tunes Library.xml !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.