Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not recognizing keychain

I changed my Apple ID password a week or so ago and now, in Safari, every time I go to a site that requires a new password to be generated, I get a pop up telling me to turn on keychain access to allow Safari to generate passwords. The problem is keychain access IS turned on already. I've tried turning it off and back on, restarting Safari, restarting my entire computer, and nothing has helped. It's really annoying as the Safari password generation is quite handy, and I'm not sure how to get it back.

Can anyone advise?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 8:59 AM

7 replies

Jul 5, 2015 12:16 PM in response to harriettekd

As I said in the original post

This is what you said in the original post: "keychain access IS turned on." Keychain Access is an application. iCloud Keychain is a network service. I'll take the answer to my last question to be "yes."

Please take these steps to resynchronize the iCloud keychain. Your keychain on iCloud and your other Apple devices won't be affected. Take Step 2 only if Step 1 doesn't solve the problem.

Step 1

Back up all data.

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

Step 2

If you still have problems, uncheck the Keychain box again and continue.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "Keychains" should open. Inside it is a subfolder with a long name similar to (but not the same as) this:

421DE5CA-D745-3AC1-91B0-CE5FC0ABA128

The above is only an example; yours will have a different name of the same general form. Drag the subfolder (not the Keychains folder) to the Trash and empty.

Restart the computer and re-enable iCloud Keychain.

Jul 9, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, thanks for this - I tried disabling the keychain and deleting the content from the local Mac, but it wouldn't let me - every time I went through this process, the keychain checkmark returned spontaneously.

As for the folder, there were actually two of them - I wasn't sure if I should delete them with the keychain still checked.

If anyone has any advice, that'd be really appreciated!

Safari not recognizing keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.