Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Music Intermittent - Cutting Out

Apple, I have about lost my patience with Airplay. This is after MANY MANY hours wasted trying to fix problems with it for YEARS.

Sometimes it will work great for an evening and other times it just cuts out all the time.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot and yet get problems still:

• Change to working over wired connection rather than WiFi
  • Clean install on BOTH iMac's over the years with each iteration of OS X
  • Factory reset each Airport Express (5)
  • Moved or Removed anything that could be interfering with the Airport Extreme's (4.33Mhz Remote Electric Outlet sockets, Microwaves, Fridges, etc...)
  • Turned off EVERYTHING in my house in fact so that it is just my iMac, Airport Extreme Router, Airport Express and Stereo
  • Tried different Stereo
  • Replaced Airport Extreme (I now have 3)
  • Replaced cables (network and audio)

I have been a computer technician for 20 years now, dealing with computers and networks so can tell I have my gear setup correctly. I have searched through forums, trawled through error logs on my iMac and still nothing - there is no simple explanation on why this could be possibly happening. My only conclusion is that it's just not up to the job.

Can you just admit that Airplay is just not up to the job? I've been looking forward to using Apple Music and since it's launch have been enjoying listening to a whole lot more music on my iPhone. My only wish is that I could use the Airplay equipment that I have invested in over the years to play the music in rooms in my house when I wanted without knowing it's going to just go silent and then restart etc...

After MANY years of trying to convince my partner that this was the best way to get music playing around our home, I have to now admit defeat and agree that it's all been a complete waste of time and money. I really love technology and using my Apple products but I feel incredibly cheated and feel I've been sold something that was great in principal but in reality does not work.

I've always thought Sonos was not needed as the Airplay system promised to work just as well and would allow me to stay within the Apple ecosystem, something that I am actually quite happy to do - I see the benefits and love the technology. But I can see me ditching all the Airport Extreme's and Airport Express' I have bought over the years (£395 for 5 Airport Express and £400 for 2 new Airport Extreme and 1 Extreme off eBay) to get Sonos. What a MUG I must be that I have spent just shy of £800 ($1245) and SO much time on something that simply does not work reliably.

Thanks Apple, you've really ****** off a loyal customer.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 8:55 AM

There are no replies.

Airplay Music Intermittent - Cutting Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.