Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferred iTunes from back up I have playlists and all everything but ratings can I find just this file to transfer?

I transferred my iTunes from a backup folder after crash. I have all songs and playlists. everything but ratings how can I transfer/import just ratings,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:26 AM

7 replies

Jul 5, 2015 9:35 AM in response to stupidrule

Ratings are in the iTunes Library.itl file. This is actually the central but only one of many folders and files that work together to generate the display you see in iTunes. You don't say how you transferred but it clearly did not include this file. The thing is, you have to start iTunes from this file by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes and selecting this file, but then the file will also tell iTunes to look for your media files in a specific location. The long and short is the restore has to be done correctly and we can only tell you how to do this is we know what exactly you had on your backup.

Jul 5, 2015 4:12 PM in response to Limnos

New computer trying to rebuild. carbonite back up dumped one big file on my desktop. I tried iTunes to search for music that only got me 20 percent of my songs. Next I tried dragging the iTunes folder from backup to the new iTunes. Next I tried Importing the music library.xml . At this point I had lots of duplicates that I had to clear out but at least I got my playlists back. I have everything set except the ratings. I can Live with that. should I try to import the .itl file or call it a day?

Jul 6, 2015 9:51 AM in response to stupidrule

Duplicate files on the computer, or duplicate entries in the iTunes window?

Unless you have changed preferences settings or are doing something non-standard with iTunes an iTunes folder will contain a separate stand-alone library. You can have dozens of them if you wish. Opening a new library does not merge or duplicate content with another, and certainly not in the the iTunes window itself. There may be a separate component coming into play here such as automatic downloads from the iTunes Store which is not always very good at identifying content already in your library if you have been altering the tags/labels.

Transferred iTunes from back up I have playlists and all everything but ratings can I find just this file to transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.