Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air. Dead?

iPad Air. Purchased new and received December 2013. 2 year warranty on it.

Used daily. Never dropped. Never around moisture/ water. In absolutely new shape.

After some use yesterday, plugged it in (into a wall outlet via a surge box) as has been the case for months. Came back a few hours later and lifted the smart case and the screen stayed blank. Attempted to reset, nothing.

Looked online, tried having it charge via the usb from 2 different iMacs for an hour each. Nothing.

Let it sit overnight, reset did nothing.

Any advice on how to get this running again? And furthermore, why would such a thing happen?

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 7.0.6, Air

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 10:00 AM

16 replies

Jul 5, 2015 11:24 AM in response to sam jones

A proper device reset is as follows:

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

This may need to be repeated multiple times if the device does not react as it should.

Jul 5, 2015 11:44 AM in response to SergZak

I have done the reset over a dozen times. Nothing. Screen is black. No apple logo. Nothing.

Researching as much as I can, and it appears this is the ipad black screen of death. Unreal.

Cannot get a genius bar appointment until Tuesday night.

Over 20 years Apple user and in the last 4 years have lost so much data (2 Time Capsules died and were unrecoverable), 1 phone black screen of death (replaced, but lost data) and now this, which I will not be able to recover the app's data.

Will continue to see what more I can do, but this is absolutely baffling. There were no signs of an issue prior.

Is there any 3rd party software available that could assist?

Jul 5, 2015 2:32 PM in response to tonefox

When I plugged it in yesterday (around 10:30am) it was about 75% charged.

Attempts have been made as follows:

- Original charge cable via surge box.

- Original charge cable via iMac 27"

- iPhone 5 charge cable via iMac 21"

- iPhone 5 charge cable via suge box

Both charge cables are working. All ports on the iMac's are working.

Compressed air is your friend, no doubt, and had hit every single area that recessed with compressed air (no dust or lint).

Completely out of options. Apple Store is it.

Went into the apple store, wait time is 2 1/2 hours to see a tech. Ideally they will have some way to revive this ipad as the last thing I want is to replace this one if I do not have to.

Will update, but if you have any other suggestions, please share.

Would like to know how often this happens as I am growing frustrated with Apple products that are turning into bic lighters.

Jul 6, 2015 12:02 PM in response to sam jones

So finally got to see a genius late yesterday. He made all attempts to get it back up. After about 15 minutes he grabs a new one and goes through the process of checking me out only to have the final screen tell him that these ipads have these issues and instead of getting a replacement, it needs to go to the depo (no idea where this depo is) and should have mine back or another one back in 5-7 days...

While I'd prefer to not have this issue, I am currently out of an ipad air for the next week. Something I was hoping to avoid by giving up my Sunday.

Asked what he thought was the issue, possibly a bad logic board, but he has been seeing this with the iPad Air.

Will update when this is resolved.

Jul 10, 2015 10:47 PM in response to sam jones

Not pleased.

So I dropped my ipad off at an apple store on Sunday. As stated above and received a refurbished one back this evening (absolute nonsense). This refurbished one is acting up (no sim card installed?).

So 5 days for them to look at the old one that died. No explanation was provided. And the genius couldn't tell me if this was refurbished. (The serial number starts with an F = Refurbished.).

Apple is trying my patience.

Jul 15, 2015 1:03 PM in response to sam jones

So....

Why didn't I take the SIM card out of the iPad before I handed it over to them? That is the question posed to me from an Apple CSR. And how would I know that?

Regardless, back to the Apple store and they provide me with a new SIM card, that is a universal SIM card. Can use it with any carrier I like. Sounds good.

We put it in and I leave the store. As luck would have it, tried to access the SIM (Cellular) and it says "INVALID SIM"! Huh?

Go searching online and the new SIM CARD DOES NOT WORK WITH IPAD AIR...

Called ATT and now have to go into an ATT Store to get the SIM Card for the iPad Air.

Never experienced anything like this with Apple before.

iPad Air. Dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.