Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.4 broke itunes

Why can I only access music I've purchased from iTunes when there's another 24GB of music already on my phone?

Historically, I've considered iTunes on the PC to be the worst music player application available.

Over the years, Apple has progressively made this experience worse; steadily removing what was useful and replacing those features with tools that better enable the user to access Apple products.

I didn't purchase an iPhone because I worship at the feet of Apple. I purchased it because it appeared to have a strong presence in the technological community and hence, more people creating apps [custom functionality] for the platform.

Sadly, one of the basic functions for which I use my iPhone is to both contain and playback a vast music collection. In this regard, iOS once provided a more than satisfactory experience. I would even go so far as to say that iTunes on the phone (circa iOS 2-3) was one of the best music players I had used. At some point (I believe it was iOS 5) someone with influence decided that the really cool album flip feature (found by tipping the phone into landscape view) should be replaced by an alphabetical collage of album covers that performs no usable function whatsoever. There is absolutely no correlation between the track currently playing and the albums shown. Thus, there is no immediately apparent way to view the tracks of the currently playing album while in landscape (the manner in which my phone resides under most of my listening conditions). I've found a way to show the current album list while in landscape, but it requires multiple steps and a level of intentionality that is usually not present when one fails to anticipate that turning the phone sideways will make the visual interface utterly disregard the music that the device is playing.

The other changes between iOS 5 and iOS 8.4 that progressively subtract from the overall experience are too numerous to detail here. Suffice it to say that I only installed this latest iOS update because I sincerely believed that iTunes could not possibly get worse and therefore might actually include some modifications based on user complaints rather than exclusively focusing on product marketing.

I stand corrected.

Apple didn't just make it harder to access my own music, they made it impossible.

Now, my phone has several new features by which I could avail myself of new Apple products. What my phone doesn't have is any access to the 24 GB of music that is stored on it. I'm delighted that I can see the few things I've purchased through the iTunes store over the years but that list comprises less than 1% of the music I've purchased by other means.

If there is a maximum depth to the level of aggrivations one can feel with a company or its products, iOS 8.4 has me scraping my knuckles on the bottom.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:14 AM

3 replies

Jul 5, 2015 8:23 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris,

Thank you for pointing out my failure to properly differentiate question from rant.

The question was not in the list of complaints.

The question was the first sentence which ended in a "?".

I'll try to phrase it differently:

How can I access my own music on an iPhone with iOS 8.4 installed?

Or:

I've just installed the iOS 8.4 update and now, even though I have 24 GB of music still on my phone, there's no way to access it.

Can someone please help me?

As you pointed out, the rest was simply a useless rant because I'm over-the-top fed up with what I see as Apple ruining everything they touch and giving no means of reverting to a working version.

My hope had been that by stating my question briefly at the beginning, anyone who could help me access my music would see the question immediately and be spared the necessity of sifting through the ravings of a disturbed man who clearly has issues well beyond any that can be addressed in this forum.

If I can, I'll edit the post to better identify question from rant.

Updated:

Nope, can't edit after a period of time.

Hopefully, if there is continued confusion over what to answer and what to ignore, perhaps the forum administrator will do us all a favor and delete this thread altogether.

I apologize for wasting anyone's time with my petty grievances.

Jul 6, 2015 8:57 AM in response to The Original Cubelodyte

The ability to access your music still exists in iOS 8.4. When you go to the Music App, you select My Music. The only difference is if you have activated one of the other music services. That would display something different, however you still have the option to go to Settings>Music>Show Apple Music>OFF. That will eliminate that displaying, unless you are using it. Do you have iTunes Match turned on? At the bottom menu area of the Music app is the button My Music, which will display the music that is on your device.

8.4 broke itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.