Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AX to extend internet sharing?

I've just acquired a second-hand AX. I need to use it to extend my existing wireless, which is using internet sharing from a Mini. So the network should look like:

Ethernet > Mini + internet sharing to wireless > AX > 2nd Mac

It would think this would be possible, but I can't get it to happen. Airport Utility doesn't seem see the AX much of the time when I'm trying different setup procedures, even when the green light is on. I've done about as many factory-resets as I can.

I've tried a bunch of things: AX seems to work fine when it creates the network (instead of extending it), internet sharing works, all machines & AX firmware are current (10.10.4), zapped PRAM on the machines, IP6 is set to 'local-only'.

The whole thing is very flaky and never seems to act the same way twice. Can someone confirm that this setup with internet sharing + AX *should* be possible in the first place?

Thanks,

Brian

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 10:16 AM

6 replies

Jul 7, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Brian Heller

Sorry, but no. When you try to "extend" using Internet Sharing, the extender and "main" network will not be on the same subnet. That's the way Apple designed it.

So, it is simply not possible to have a device connect using Internet Sharing.....no matter whether it connects using Ethernet or wireless....and have that device "extend" the "main" network.

You could have an AriPort Express, or any other product create a "separate" network, but then you would have two different networks, with each one requiring a separate log on. Not what you want.

If you want an "extended" network, you will need to have one router setup to provide a wireless network and another router set up to "extend" the main network.....either by Ethernet (best performance option) or wireless.

AX to extend internet sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.