Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutting down causes the Mac to forget apps have ever opened.

I inquired a while ago about an oddity in Safari I noticed--that when I shut down or restart my iMac, the system forgets that Safari was the default browser and makes Chrome the default. No matter how many times I "fix" this in Safari, the restart blasts it away. People offered various advice and formulas for fixing that. None worked.

But now I've noticed something else that goes along with this forgetfulness: that after a complete shut down, any application I open--Scrivener for example--starts out with a "You are opening this Application for the first time" message, and I have to think these two cases of forgetfulness are somehow connected. It continues to be nothing more than a small annoyance. Still, I'm wondering if anybody's seen this, and might have a solution.

-gf

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27", 2.7GHz

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:45 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes, Linc did, and the outlined procedure did not resolve the situation with Safari. I'm pretty sure the "You're opening this App for the first time" phenomenon was going on then as well, but I was entirely focused on the Safari problem at that point.

In any case, I've repeated his instructions, and (obviously since I'm still dealing with it) it made no difference.

-gf

Jul 7, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Gregory Frost

Perhaps a long shot.

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

Shutting down causes the Mac to forget apps have ever opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.