Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get rid of inline attachments in mail?

I am trying to figure out how to get rid of inline attachments, such as a PDF in mail? I have seen two forma, one is posting a script in Terminal, didn't work for me as it note the domain didn't exist and the second was to down load a software called "secrets". However, it is not an apple based software. So was wondering if Apple actually fixed this extremely annoying attribute of apple computers. Any help would be appreciated, is there a setting somewhere I can change?

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:08 PM

9 replies

Jul 6, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Pen_Papaer

I don't know what script you are referring to, but this has always worked for me. No script needed, just a simple command. Btw, how it actually appears at the other end will depend on the mail client the recipient of the message is using.

This sends the attachment as an icon, not embedded inline.

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing 1

To reverse the setting, change the 1 to a 0̷:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing 0

Jul 6, 2015 5:15 PM in response to WZZZ

I tried the script. I went to Applications/Utilities/Terminal and copy din the script you noted. It came back Domain com.apple.mail is invalid and it didn't accept the script. I also tried the one Eric noted in his response. Is there some special trick to get it to recognize this script? Also one note, I have updated to Yosemite. Not sure if that matters. You would think Apple would come up with an easy button to click to have it on or off.

Jul 6, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, I tried the script as I indicated in my response to WZZZ but it comes back as a invalid domain com.apple.mail so it won't allow the script.

I also tried the control and clicked on the file (I assume you hold down the control when clicking the file) but I did not see the "Compress" option. Also, do you do this after it is embedded as an inline attachment or when it opens the folder to select what you want to attach? I tried both and neither worked or gave me the "Compress" option. Note I have updated to Yosemite.

Jul 7, 2015 2:22 AM in response to Pen_Papaer

Pen_Papaer wrote:

Yes, I am trying to embed an attachment in the e-mail but as an icon/file not as an inline attachment. So for example if it has 8 pages, the e-mail will show all 8 pages (inline attachment) not just an icon for the recipient to click on. Seems ridiculous but that is what Apple has done.

Control-Click the attachment and set it to show as an icon.

Jul 7, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Pen_Papaer

Just to let you know in case you have occasion to use Terminal--the command line--in the future and need help, the command I gave you to enter isn't a "script," it's just a command. A script runs a number of commands or arguments together in a certain sequence. It will be confusing to someone helping here if you refer to what you have been doing as a script.

How do you get rid of inline attachments in mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.