Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse won't track but other functions work fine!

My BT magic mouse was working fine about 1 week ago but now, when i connect it to my mac, it's scroll, L/R clicks are working fine BUT I cannot move the cursor i.e I can't track anymore. I have tried cleaning the lens, changing the batteries, re-pairing BT device, resetting nvram, smc reset but all gone in vain. Scroll, clicks works fine but I can't move the cursor. It connects fine showing battery level as 82 % (RSSI: -46 dBm) but WON'T TRACK.

Is this a software issue(because I updated to Yosemite 10.10.4 recently?) OR a hardware issue?

I won't be able to visit any sort of official repair centers as I am from somewhere where these facilities lack. What are my options?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:57 AM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2015 5:16 AM in response to stormxeron

I have the same issue, and have taken all the same steps to try and correct. Any response from Apple or anyone else?

Actually, it WILL track if I put it directly on a semi-glossy Formica/laminate desk surface. Any attempt to use it on a satin finish mouse pad (e.g., nylon surface), paper (regardless of pattern), or any surface without at least a semi-glossy sheen or luster fails.

Oct 9, 2015 5:22 AM in response to stormxeron

I can't imagine what kind of repair you have been offered. The Magic mouse cannot be repaired, it can be cleaned but that's about the limit and with a replacement only £50, I would imagine you would be lucky to get away with a bill for half that. The problem is most likely the mouse, not software and you appear to have done the right things so far but I suspect it will come back to the lens eventually and the way you have tried to clean it.

You needed to turn off the mouse, take out the batteries and use a Q tip dampened with alcohol on the lens. Whisky will do. Then reassemble in strict reverse. Come back and tell us what the repair people eventually did ... and if it was successful.

Oct 20, 2015 8:39 AM in response to seventy one

I don't know how will the repair work(The repair guy may be implying a cleaning) anyways, if the cleaning(if he means that) do not work then might as well buy a new one at least not another mouse from apple. Many discussions regarding the same issue is floating around the web. I think apple is making some ****** product. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion. I will certainly post if there is any new update. If there are further ideas then keep posting.

Magic Mouse won't track but other functions work fine!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.