Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you shuffle all songs from all albums by one artist?

In prior versions of iTunes you could always pick an artist and shuffle all songs from all albums by that artist. Frankly, it's one of the best functions an music player has, especially with artists with long careers and large back catalogs. This is rather important feature doesn't seem available on this latest version of iTunes that appears on iPhones. Please tell me it's still there somewhere and how to use it.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 12:39 PM

9 replies

Jul 7, 2015 1:02 PM in response to kcwtlw

Hello there, kcwtlw.

From what you've described, I understand that you used to have a shuffle option in the iOS Music App that allowed you to shuffle all the music in your library from one artist. It does look like that feature is not currently available in the version of Music now in iOS 8.4.

One way that you can accomplish the same effect is by creating a Smart Playlist on your computer in iTunes first:

Create a Smart Playlist - iTunes Help

Create a Smart Playlist

iTunes can create playlists based on rules you specify, and then update these playlists automatically as your library changes.

For example, you could create a Smart Playlist that’s no more than 5 gigabytes (GB) in size and includes your most highly rated jazz songs. Or you could create a Smart Playlist of songs by a particular artist. When you import a new CD by that artist, the songs are added automatically to the Smart Playlist.

If you want to create more complex rules—for example, with some criteria matching all rules and others matching any—you can create sets of rules, or “nested” rules. You can have up to five levels of nesting.

A Smart Playlist has this icon User uploaded file next to it. iTunes comes with several Smart Playlists already set up, including My Top Rated, Recently Added, and Top 25 Most Played.

Create a Smart Playlist

1. Choose File > New > Smart Playlist.

2. Specify your rules.

User uploaded file
  3. To add another set of rules within a rule, hold down the Option key and click the Nest button User uploaded file. (When you hold down the Option key, the Add button changes to the Nest button.)

Once created, the Playlist syncs over iCloud and can be played on your phone:

Playlists - iPhone

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

Jul 7, 2015 1:10 PM in response to kcwtlw

You don't need to make smart playlists to shuffle all songs from all albums of a particular artist.

1. Open Music app
  2. In My Music use the drop down to select Artists
  3. Find the Artist you want and click on the picture/album art to the left of the name and it will start playing one of their songs
  4. Click the Mini Player toward the bottom of the screen
  5. Select the Shuffle icon

Alternate way

"Siri, shuffle all music by The Rolling Stones"

Jul 13, 2015 8:46 AM in response to kcwtlw

Such a simple and important function.....it should have never have changed or been buried. Thanks for the work around. HOWEVER, I can not shuffle an artist via my car's Bluetooth audio connection. Shuffling all songs by an artist using my touch screen in my car is gone. HUGE bummer! Looking forward to the next update that rolls this function back.

Aug 5, 2015 5:16 AM in response to kcwtlw

Hey guys, after hacking for a while I think I figured it out...

1. Open Music.

2. Make sure you're on the "My Music" tab on the most bottom bar.

3. Go to the artist you want - Brand New for instance.

4. Click the 3 dots "..." icon at the top (the one for the band name and not the albums) and select "Play Next" from the menu that pops up.

5. Then click the mini player at the bottom to bring up the controls.

6. Hit the "next" icon if you already have something playing or the "play" icon if you don't.

7. A song will play from that band.

8. Click the "shuffle" icon and it should start shuffling all the songs from all the albums!

Aaaaaaaibo, they certainly made us look for that one - let me know if that works for you guys.

How's-To-Give-Me-A-UX-Job-Apple?

How do you shuffle all songs from all albums by one artist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.