Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use 5 GHz Channel Only?

I have the Current Time Capsule set to extend an existing Wi-Fi "G" network. The TC is connected to the Cisco Cable Modem/Router via Ethernet. I would like to set the TC to use only the 5 GHz band (and the "ac" configuration) - the existing Cisco Router is using the 2.4 GHz band. and right now and the TC is creating another version of my network in the 2.4GHz band (with the same SSID, security, and password but a different channel). I would like to configure the network so that the Cisco provides the network on the 2.4 GHz band and the TC provides the network on the 5 GHz band. Is that possible?

David

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27 inch Retina i5 16GB

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:51 PM

I would like to set the TC to use only the 5 GHz band (and the "ac" configuration

Sorry, but this is not possible. Both bands on the TC are either "on", or both are "off". You cannot have one "on" and other "off and vice versa.

What is possible is to assign a different name to the 5 GHz signal on the Time Capsule, if that might be of interest. The 2.4 GHz band of the Time Capsule would continue to use the same name as your main router.

So, in effect you would have an "extended" network at 2.4 GHz and a "normal" network with a different name at 5 GHz provided by the Time Capsule.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 1:51 PM in response to DRedfearn

I would like to set the TC to use only the 5 GHz band (and the "ac" configuration

Sorry, but this is not possible. Both bands on the TC are either "on", or both are "off". You cannot have one "on" and other "off and vice versa.

What is possible is to assign a different name to the 5 GHz signal on the Time Capsule, if that might be of interest. The 2.4 GHz band of the Time Capsule would continue to use the same name as your main router.

So, in effect you would have an "extended" network at 2.4 GHz and a "normal" network with a different name at 5 GHz provided by the Time Capsule.

Jul 5, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. Since I added the TC I have had problems connecting to my printers which are both cofigured to connect via Wi-Fi and are both using the existing Cisco router in the 2.4 band. My iMacs are connecting to the ac connection in the 5 GHz band provided by the TC. My suspicion is that the connection from my iMacs are not bridging over from the TC to the Cisco even though this is the same network.. I can print immediately after the printers are turned on, but after sitting for a few minutes without a print job I loose the connection. Of course, 10.10.4 also made changes to networking (improvements?) so that might be involved too.

At little loss of functionality I can just connect the printers via USB and avoid all this, but the wireless printing is a convience.

David

Jul 5, 2015 2:38 PM in response to DRedfearn

Did you think about naming the 2.4 GHz signal on the TC something different than the 2.4 GHz signal on the Cisco.....and then just ignoring that signal?

You can still assign a different name to the 5 GHz signal on the TC.

So, you use the 2.4 GHz network on the Cisco

Ignore the other differently named 2.4 GHz signal on the TC

Use the 5 GHz signal on the TC

Jul 5, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I might give that a try - I assume I can name the 5 GHz network the same as the Cisco. I have a lot of stuff (TV, DVD, PS3, AV Reciever) all set to use that network name along with the printers and my Macs and a PC - and it is a huge pain to change the SSID. I think everything I want to use needs to be on the same network. That is why using a new SSID for the TC doesn't help - the Macs would be on one network and the printers on another. And I have other devices connected via Ethernet from the Cisco (solar panels, HAC, etc.) so I can't just turn off the Cisco completely which I would like to do as it requires monthly reboots to renew IP addresses. (The Cisco is from Cox Cable.)

David

Jul 5, 2015 3:07 PM in response to DRedfearn

I assume I can name the 5 GHz network the same as the Cisco

Yes, you can. In theory, it should work.

Apple's default setting for the TC uses the same name for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. This works fine for most users.....like me.....but other users swear by assigning a different name to the 5 GHz signal.

You can make a good argument for going either way, so this one is not so much a question as to which is right, it is more a question of what works best in your particular circumstance.

Let us know how things work if you decide to give it a try.

Jul 8, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob:

Here is what I ended up doing. I turned off the radio for the Cox Cisco router. The AirPort (connected via ethernet to the Cisco router) now does all my Wi-Fi networks. After rebooting the AirPort, everything is working fine. My printers even connect now. The Cisco still handles the ethernet connections but the AirPort does all the Wi-Fi. My two iMacs are upstairs with the AirPort and both connect via ac. My MBA downstairs connects via the 2.4GHz "g/n". I have noticed that the 5 GHz signals (Channel 36) don't travel as far as the 2.4 GHz. Channel 153 (which I believe allows higher power transmissions) has already been grabbed by one of my neighbors.

Thanks for your help.

David

Jul 8, 2015 2:25 PM in response to DRedfearn

I have noticed that the 5 GHz signals (Channel 36) don't travel as far as the 2.4 GHz. Channel 153 (which I believe allows higher power transmissions) has already been grabbed by one of my neighbors.

5 GHz signals are much weaker than 2.4 GHz signals, so it is remarkable that you can even pick up a 5 GHz signal from your neighbor.

If you want to manually select channels, 149, 157 and 161 would still be "open".

Jul 9, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The AirPort chose Channel 36, I assume, because the higher channels were already taken. I have no issues with the existing configuration - my iMacs (where I can benefit from the speed of the ac connection) use it. My MBA (downstairs) uses the n connection, but I don't move much data from that machine (just the Time Machine backup to the AirPort Time Capsule - and that system changes very little over time, so these backups run in a few minutes). All the other Wi-Fi devices (TV, AV Receiver, DVD player, Roku, etc.) only use the 2.4 band anyway. I am set for a while now.

David

Jul 9, 2015 3:30 PM in response to DRedfearn

The AirPort chose Channel 36, I assume, because the higher channels were already taken

The AirPort chose Channel 36 because is was the first channel that it saw that met the minimum criteria for a 5 GHz connection. The AirPort will not choose the "best" signal....it will choose the first one that it finds that is acceptable. What that criteria actually is.....Apple will not tell us.

I have no issues with the existing configuration

If you are happy, then we are happy.

Use 5 GHz Channel Only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.