Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing from Preview via Messages blocks Preview

When I share a picture from Preview via Messages then Preview is blocked while Messages sends. So, if I try to use Preview in that phase it’s unavailable to me and the Preview “blinks”. This is ok if I barely notice it. However, if the internet connection is bad (like sharing the 3G/4G connection from an iPhone 5S with the laptop in a cabin up in a mountain) then Preview hangs or waits for several minutes before it gives up and tells me. I cannot proceed with viewing other pictures in this phase. It’s “formally” the “green” type of blocking (*), but since the solution really blocks all of the machine since viewing pictures was all I was going to do, I’d say it’s almost “red” blocking.

Is this some error or is it by design?

Øyvind Teig, Trondheim, Norway

(*) The "green" and "red" blocking terms I have suggested in a personal blog note at http://www.teigfam.net/oyvind/home/technology/092-not-so-blocking-after-all/#sha ring_from_os_x_preview_with_messages (Disclaimer: I have not economic interest or ads or gifts with any of my blog notes. It's purely a hobby)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 512 GB FLASH

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:06 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:17 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, both of these replies are fine (Messages doesn't seem to block when it's "alone").

However, my case addresses the fact the Preview blocks while using Messages; from a computer science perspective, in my view, this is questionable (=bad) design. However, it may be some error in the code, but as a programmer myself I find it less probable. It may also not be per design, it could be some side effect during some particular loss of connection, but I also find that less probable - because I can see the "blinking" of Preview for some seconds (if I press it) when I send a large picture in all cases. Initially I tried to set up a case to show how it might work.

Sharing from Preview via Messages blocks Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.