Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make a new folder in notes

Does anyone know how to make a new folder in Notes in the iOS for iPad?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:44 PM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Demo

Thanks to all of you. I do have one workaround for those who have a mac and use icloud. I have made a bunch of "new folders" on my Mac notes app. These then show up on the iPad. When I need a new folder I just re-name them and move them if needed to be a sub-folder. This has expanded the usability of notes for me and helps eliminate an extra app.

Jul 5, 2015 6:32 PM in response to bobseufert

When I make the new folders on my mac, they are automatically called "new folder 1" , "new folder 2" and so on.

Back to the iPad, first click on the name of the folder in the left hand list then click on the new note symbol and begin typing. The folder can be renamed and/or moved to be a subfolder of another existing folder.

This works on the iphone as well, but I do not know how to rename the folder or move it to make a subfolder. But since the notes I make on iphone are rudimentary (i can't type well on the phone) - I just fix them up later on the mac or iPad.

Jul 5, 2015 7:32 PM in response to desiredaliasnewzealand

That does work, but it is limited. I used that for a while then got onto this method since I need lots of notes within the subfolders as below. This can get pretty involved with sub sub folders but works well. You'll also see my blank "new folders' waiting to be used. Would sure be simpler if Apple coordinated ALL of the apps between mac and iOS.

I tried evernote and found it just too much stuff for one user. It would be great if iOS Notes had tags though! I love the way I can add all kinds of files to the notes and even put in live links to web pages.

User uploaded file

how to make a new folder in notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.