Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive only bootable externally, but other hard drive is detected internally.

This is a really bizarre issue and I'm at my wits end. It all started on friday when my 2010 13" Pro was acting strange. Restarted and was greeted by a kernel panic at the apple screen. I didn't have a backup but I did have my old laptop hard drive(B) that I swapped out for a larger one back in January, anyway. I booted to recovery mode and partitioned and successfully installed yosemite onto my old drive(B) via an external enclosure and then booted to that drive(B) using option at startup. I successfully transferred all my important files off the drive(A) with the panic issue but this is when things started to go wrong.

I had simply planned to erase and format the drive(A) with the kernel panic OS X on it but when attempting that it would not unmount either via the external drive(B) disk utility or even internet recovery. I used terminal to force the unmount and then attempted a reformat and with that drive(A) I've basically been stuck at "Partition failed with the error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed." I can't erase it or restore to it or anything, that error for everything. So I decided to swap the old drive(B) that I had been using at my external drive and where I had backed up all my data into the macbook so I could use that till I sorted out the error. When I put that drive(B) into the computer it does not recognize that it is connected. If I attempt to let it boot normally I get the flashing folder ? logo, if hold option all I get is the internet recover option, if go to Disk Utility in internet recovery it doesn't see the drive(B). However, when I swap back in the bricked kernel panic drive(A), internet recovery sees that it is connected, I just can't get past "Partition failed with the error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed." However, when I attach the working drive(B) back to the external enclosure I can book into yosemite no problem, which is where I am typing this from. I'm at a loss for both issues, both the error and the non-recognition of the drive(B) by the macbook.

Short version:

Drive A has OS X on it, has kernel panic.

Attach Drive B via external enclosure.

Format and install yosemite on Drive B in external enclosure.

Transfer all files from Drive A to Drive B.

Attempt to format and reinstall OS X on Drive A via Drive B Disk Utility, Drive B recovery partition and internet recovery and endlessly get:

"Partition failed with the error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed."

Remove Drive A from Macbook and swap in Drive B. Macbook does not recognize that Drive B is connected internally.

Swap them back and computer recognizes Drive A internally but I can only currently run Drive B externallly.

I'm beyond stumped.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:50 PM

There are no replies.

Hard drive only bootable externally, but other hard drive is detected internally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.