Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 Changes Track Names, Ruins my Library

Right before my eyes. Here is a description of the first of many instances: on one of my Macs I have a playlist that includes "Both Sides Now" by

Joni Mitchell (may she fully recovery from her illness). I double clicked to play the song and before my eyes its name in the playlist changed to "Violin Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 5, No. 9: II. Giga - Allegro," by Arcangelo Corelli, a piece of music that I have in another playlist. But the song that played was the right one. "Get info" shows info for the Corelli work, but with the Joni Mitchell album art.

I am also finding songs in playlists that I didn't put there--not intentionally, not by accident. Patsy Cline in a classical trumpet playlist, e.g. I double-clicked it and its name changed to a trumpet work by Purcell, but the song that played was by Patsy Cline. A cello concerto appears in my trumpet playlist, but a trumpet work plays when I double-click.

In all instances, "Show in Finder" reveals the music as a duplicate in the same folder as the real version of the song.

This has happened over and over again since I downloaded iTunes 12.2: My iTunes library -- 10,000 songs -- is in ruins.

Unfortunately, I did not turn of my SuperDuper backups when I first discovered the error and began investigating. Thus, my backup copies of iTunes Library.itl are corrupt, as well.

Ideas!? Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Seven Macs (five modern).

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 2:24 PM

17 replies

Jul 6, 2015 10:50 AM in response to David Illig

Same thing happened to me, and like you I can see that the files are actually duplicated in the finder. For instance, if I go to one of the affected songs, I see Song.mp3, and Song 1.mp3. One plays the correct song, and one plays a completely different seemingly random song.

I called Apple support on this, and there isn't anything they can do, so I have 2 options.

1) Figure out a way to remove all of the duplicated files with the "1" appended in the name.

2) Trash iTunes and the music, and Re-install my music from a backup.

I'll likely go with option #2 as a first try.

Jul 6, 2015 12:23 PM in response to David Illig

Unfortunately, I did not turn of my SuperDuper backups when I first discovered the error and began investigating. Thus, my backup copies of iTunes Library.itl are corrupt, as well.

I suspect a full restore is order, but although SuperDuper's backups of the active .itl will include the corrupted library you may still have a pre-upgrade copy you could use stored in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

tt2

Jul 6, 2015 12:49 PM in response to turingtest2

@turingtest2: ...although SuperDuper's backups of the active .itl will include the corrupted library you may still have a pre-upgrade copy you could use stored in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

Indeed, I do. And copying it to replace the corrupted version works just fine--so long as I don't play any songs. Then it, too, becomes corrupted. This is an iTunes bug.

iTunes 12.2 Changes Track Names, Ruins my Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.