Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro with OS X Mavericks doesn't restart normally

I have a 13-inch, late 2009 Macbook Pro running OS X Mavericks (10.9.5). The processor is 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I have 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory installed.

Whenever I shut down the computer, it won't start up normally and I usually have to go to OS X Utilities during the start up and have to repair the disk and disk permissions. I stumbled upon this somewhat random solution accidentally. It doesn't work all the time but it works most of the time. I then restart the computer and if I'm lucky the computer starts.

It's getting really frustrating as I can't seem to find a reliable solution to the problem and I've had this problem for quite a few months. While I'm working, the computer would suddenly freeze and I have to troubleshoot for hours (I'm not kidding!) just to get my Macbook Pro started.

Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:46 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2015 12:50 PM in response to GaxMax

Hey GaxMax,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the computer does not start normally. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Macbook Pro with OS X Mavericks doesn't restart normally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.