Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blow up iPhone screen on apple tv from macbook air

I recorded a July 4 fireworks display on my iPhone 6 and then transferred it to my macbook air by Airdrop. When I play it back on Airplay, either with Quicktime or iMovie, I get only the center portion of my tv screen showing the movie in the iPhone's aspect ratio. I want to fill the tv screen. I have tried the "match desktop size to airplay tv" option on the MBA as well as changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the Airplay settings, but no matter what i do, I basically get an iPhone sized and dimensioned image. Anything else to try, or third-party software that would do this? Would it make a difference if I connected the tv to the macbook air via a mini to vga accessory and a vga cable instead of wireless via airplay?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:21 PM

Airplay is simply transferring the original file over the local network to stream via Apple TV. Mirroring will show your full desktop image, but you are still viewing the movie as is. You would need to change your HDTV picture settings in order to stretch the image (for it to fill the screen). Keep in mind this will distort and/or crop the image.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 3:21 PM in response to capesnr

Airplay is simply transferring the original file over the local network to stream via Apple TV. Mirroring will show your full desktop image, but you are still viewing the movie as is. You would need to change your HDTV picture settings in order to stretch the image (for it to fill the screen). Keep in mind this will distort and/or crop the image.

Blow up iPhone screen on apple tv from macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.