Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Boot failure on Yosemite

Hi,

My 2009 iMac has been running great recently but then it suddenly started to stop halfway through the boot process and switch off. I have an image that shows the error messages produced. I have tried running Disk Utility to repair the disk and that says everything is ok. Safe mode does not work.

However the disk seems fine as I can access all the files on my Mac by using the Windows partition, which runs perfectly and is what I am using now to write this. So obviously there is an issue with OSX. I am fairly comfortable with terminal and Single User mode, so is there anything I can modify to force the boot to work? Even if it just to get on a few times before reinstalling.

Sorry for the poor quality image but it was taken on my phone and I have a few seconds before the message disappears.

Thanks,

Gareth.User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 4:13 PM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Gazmatron1

It's failing the power-on self test, which indicates a hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

iMac Boot failure on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.