Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pasting from Word to Mac Mail

For some unknown resin I am unable to copy and paste text from Word into Mail. There us an underlying problem in that text is dropped and the formatting is dud.

I suspect that the problem is in my choice of formats or views to Word

I cam use the web formatting but that then seen to do all formatting

Mail-OTHER

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:38 AM

There is some weirdness that Word is imparting on the clipboard. It shows up in Mail, and I'm not sure anywhere else.

If you paste what you got from word into TextEdit, then copy and paste into Mail, it seems to look ok short of the elements that cannot be converted.

Or, if you format the text in any other word processor, copy, and then paste into Mail, that looks ok, too. It just seems to be Word.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 4:38 AM in response to Don Hutchinson1

There is some weirdness that Word is imparting on the clipboard. It shows up in Mail, and I'm not sure anywhere else.

If you paste what you got from word into TextEdit, then copy and paste into Mail, it seems to look ok short of the elements that cannot be converted.

Or, if you format the text in any other word processor, copy, and then paste into Mail, that looks ok, too. It just seems to be Word.

Oct 5, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Don Hutchinson1

It is not surprising that you cannot copy from Word to email and keep the format and layout. Email is not a Word processor. Word uses lots of formatting and layout special characters. This is why Word can do much more than an email client in terms of formatting and layout. If you want to copy from Word to email save your Word document as plain text. Then copy and paste the text into your email.

Or, if you must keep the formatting and layout but don't want to send the Word document first save your Word document as a PDF document then attach the PDF document to your email.

Apple owes you nothing with respect to Word. Word is a Microsoft product. It is a richly featured word processor. If your email could do the same as Word there would be no need for word processors.

Pasting from Word to Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.