Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a 2007 Mac Pro with no hard drive, what are my options concerning installation of an OS??

I bought a Mac Pro with a copyright date of 2007 from a state university. It didn't come with a hard drive or any disc. I have a drive to put in it. However, I have no idea what my options are, if any, to get a OS installed on it. This is my first Mac computer. Please advise.

<Edited by Host>

Mac Pro, null

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 3:51 PM

15 replies

Jul 5, 2015 11:46 PM in response to Flint Hills

You can buy the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail install DVD from Apple, cost is about $20.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

And then update that, once installed, to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 by use of Software Update

from within the running system OS X 10.6.3; the Combo 10.6.8 update is a free download:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Once the computer is running the full OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, it may be able to go

online and you could buy an upgrade to OS X 10.7 Lion from Apple online. Or stay at

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and it should be OK to run the older Apple applications.

If you later choose to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7, that also requires an update from Apple

servers, from the App Store. The actual upgrade file would be a download after you buy it

and requires Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to be installed, & up to date, before Lion can be...

•OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (US)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Given Snow Leopard 10.6.8, your older Intel-based Mac could still run some older PPC

coded applications that otherwise would see no support once past this OS, to 10.7.x

Snow Leopard installer includes a now-discontinued 'Rosetta' utility to help run old apps.

With correct and positive identification of the hardware, the software

items, utilities, and accessories are easier to identify, locate & buy.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 6, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Flint Hills

2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X El Capitan

2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Easy to follow guides for installing OS X beyond Lion.

The best $$ / performance return would be an 250GB $98 EVO 850 SSD or PCIe-SSD (adapter). FBDIMMshave been excellent and affordable in the last two years. The biggest challenge tends to be finding a decent graphic card though but once you have Yosemite it is easier.

Whether it is easy or not to follow it has been made easier today to install and run Yosemite and works well.

Jul 30, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Flint Hills

If you have access to only non-Apple non-Mac keyboards for generic PCs running Windows:

•Keyboard Mappings using a PC Keyboard on a Macintosh: (microsoft support)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/970299

Another take on the topic from Apple, the other side of the coin from link above:

•Boot Camp: About keyboards and key assignment for Microsoft Windows - Apple Support

So you can use another keyboard if you can locate the correct keys. However since

most Apple keyboards after 2005 should work with the early Intel-based Mac, any

good condition used one would be OK. A few full-size aluminum Apple keyboards

may have issue between use with Mac Pro vs PowerMac (intel vs PPC) as such had

been reported back in the day. I've no full-size aluminum keyboard to test for that one.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

I bought a 2007 Mac Pro with no hard drive, what are my options concerning installation of an OS??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.