Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync old iMessages from iPad to new iPhone

So I haven't backed up my iPhone in a while, and it had to be replaced without the opportunity to back it up (water damage, dead dead dead). I can restore the new iPhone from the last sync I had, but that was months ago. Everything else isn't really important, but I'd like to get all my iMessages from the time between the last sync and now onto the new phone if possible. The thing is, all of those messages are on my iPad, which IS currently backed up. I don't, however, want to restore my entire phone contents to the backed up iPad, JUST the iMessages (the iPad has a ton of stuff I don't want/need on my phone, and the phone doesn't have enough room to hold all the iPad contents anyway). Is this possible? Does anyone know how this might be accomplished? Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, iPad 4th gen

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 4:25 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Simba3579

When you restore an iOS device backup, you must restore the noire conteys of the backup to the other device, there is no way to just select iMesages, or on signed app's data, and so on. There are third party apps that you let you take the messages off of the iPad and transfer them to your computer, but they cannot be synced back to the phone, if they are that important, it might be worth it to just settle for that.

i have never used one of these so you will have to do the research if you decide you want to give it a try.

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Sync old iMessages from iPad to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.