Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Siri's glib responses and "humor"

How can I disable Siri's glib responses and stupid sense of humor?

When I request information or a task, I don't want wisecracks, subversive jokes or patronizing remarks.

It is insulting, inappropriate, annoying... the last thing I want from an assistant. Just do your job and shut up - I don't need editorializing.

How do I turn on serious mode?

I told Siri to stop being glib and/or funny and it said "I'll make a note of that" and "I'll remember that", but it was a lie.

I don't appreciate my virtual assistant laughing at me, disregarding my instructions and lying to me. Absolutely intolerable.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2016 10:07 AM

I agree with the OP.

It's not a matter of lightening up. I've lost track of the number of times that Siri has said either "I love a good countdown" or "remember, a watched iPhone never boils" when I've asked for a timer (it's handy to use Siri when my hands are full while cooking).

Once was amusing, the second time less so. The tenth or eleventh time? All of the humor has been wrung out.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2016 10:07 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I agree with the OP.

It's not a matter of lightening up. I've lost track of the number of times that Siri has said either "I love a good countdown" or "remember, a watched iPhone never boils" when I've asked for a timer (it's handy to use Siri when my hands are full while cooking).

Once was amusing, the second time less so. The tenth or eleventh time? All of the humor has been wrung out.

Nov 18, 2017 5:31 PM in response to Brack

I TOTALLY CONCUR! It's not a question of "lightening up." I do shift work and if I wake up and ask Siri for the time (a genuinely helpful function) I get some version of, "It's 4:34, way too early, you should stay in bed, yawn." That's great, now I'm super-inspired for having to get up twenty minutes later. I did not need the commentary!! I know this is small, but it's annoying AF and it adds up. Plus, she's not even funny; she's like the uncle with the knock knock jokes.

Jul 6, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Brack

Siri does not have a "serious" mode. You can either turn Siri off completely in the settings or just live with a little bit of humor. The only time that I find that Siri makes some sort of joke is when you ask specific things like "What is 0 divided by 0?" If you ask to read your messages, what's on your calendar for the day, to make a phone call, to play some music, ask about the weather, etc. Siri usually simply replies without any jokes or sarcasm.

Disable Siri's glib responses and "humor"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.