Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I paying for a 16gb phone when I only actually have 11.1 Gbs?

i Think it's unfair that I have to pay $600 for a phone and the memory when I'm not even using all of that memory. Take at least $50 off. Apple rip-offs!

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:35 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Ty881

You have a 16 GB phone. It has 16 GB of storage. Measured in base 10. When the memory is displayed on the phone it is displayed in base 2, where 1 KB = 1024 bytes. But it's still 16 GB, just described differently. However, the 16 GB is the "empty" size. The operating system takes up memory. The built in apps take up memory. So between a different measurement system and required installed software you have 11.1 GB left. Actually, you must have some stuff that you installed, because the amount left should be higher than that. Anyway, 11.1GB base 2 is actually 12 GB measured in base 10. So out of the 16 GB, 4 GB is used for other stuff. As iOS is only 1.5 GB and system overhead is about 0.5 GB the remaining 2 GB must be taken up with your apps and data from your apps.

Why am I paying for a 16gb phone when I only actually have 11.1 Gbs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.