Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iTunes (12.2) update keeps crashing on Mac

New iTunes update 12.2 crashes right after launch. The running icon keeps running and I have to force quit. Any suggestions?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iOS 7.1

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 2:40 PM

Same problem (amongst many others that have been listed on the discussion board) since upgrading to new iTunes 12.2. Using a Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina, running OS X (10.10.4).

In your case, I think you may just need to be patient and let it load (might take forever, literally, in my experience) instead of trying to force quit.

Not sure if you're having any of same issues when it does load - mine has unexpectedly crashed on me multiple times without me even doing anything iTunes directly - it'll be playing through an album just fine then suddenly crash.

Other problems include 5-15 min to import/convert/edit about 12 songs (or an album essentially), and cannot do 2 things simultaneously in iTunes without it crashing or hanging (i.e. import songs while skipping a track I'm currently listening to).

Absolutely beyond frustrated with this release so far. Turned off all sharing and cloud features in an attempt to get basic functionality back to normal but no luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 2:40 PM in response to txoneal

Same problem (amongst many others that have been listed on the discussion board) since upgrading to new iTunes 12.2. Using a Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina, running OS X (10.10.4).

In your case, I think you may just need to be patient and let it load (might take forever, literally, in my experience) instead of trying to force quit.

Not sure if you're having any of same issues when it does load - mine has unexpectedly crashed on me multiple times without me even doing anything iTunes directly - it'll be playing through an album just fine then suddenly crash.

Other problems include 5-15 min to import/convert/edit about 12 songs (or an album essentially), and cannot do 2 things simultaneously in iTunes without it crashing or hanging (i.e. import songs while skipping a track I'm currently listening to).

Absolutely beyond frustrated with this release so far. Turned off all sharing and cloud features in an attempt to get basic functionality back to normal but no luck.

Jul 13, 2015 10:04 AM in response to csw27

What helped me: Disabling icloud music library and Apple Music on Mac and iphone > downgrading to 12.1 > syncing with iphone > upgrading to 12.2 > Itunes 12.2 is now usable again, as long as I don't use Apple Music and iCloud Library. There are sooo many bugs and there's the DRM-issue, which I find totally unacceptable.

Jul 13, 2015 2:15 PM in response to csw27

Same here, complained on this forum the other day about it, updated to 12.2.1, still slow as ****. Apple, come on!

Ive used iTunes for 11 years now and the last 2 have been really disappointing. I dont even stream, all my music is bought in physical format, imported & catalogued and right now, something that was so easy and satisfying to do a decade ago has become a pain in the arse!

Wouldnt have happened if Jobs was still here! Your standards really have slipped in recent times!

New iTunes (12.2) update keeps crashing on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.