Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing AVCHD/MTS Files as an Archive and Preserving File Size

Hello All:

I'm trying to get suggestions on workflow for AVCHD/.mts file management. I am using OS X Mavericks and iMovie 10.0. I use a Panasonic - HDC - TM700

Previously I had used iMovie 9.0 to import my AVCHD files as a camera archive. I would then import clips into iMove that I needed to work with. It seems the ability to archive in iMovie 10 is no longer available. iMovie 10 appears to allow direct importing of AVCHD files, however, it seems to significantly increase the size of the original .mts files and I'm not sure any metadata is saved. Could those reading this tell me:

1. Can I archive my AVCHD files still with iMovie? If so how?

2. What workflow would you recommend in using iMovie 10 to import AVCHD files? Or would you use a separate software for archival purposes (e.g. ClipWrap, EditReady, etc)?

3. How can I preserve the original file size and quality of the compressed AVCHD files while preserving the metadata from the video camera?

4. What exactly is iMovie doing when important an AVCHD file?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:17 PM

2 replies

May 15, 2017 3:38 AM in response to bbridge

Answering sleepymd's points with respect to iMovie 10.x.x (not earlier versions):

1. You can import AVCHD files directly from a connected camera or from the camera card using the Import function of iMovie. Its displays playable thumbnails of all the clips on the card and you can select which to import. You can also select only parts of clips.

2. I personally don't do this but I open the AVCHD package with the Finder (right-click > show package contents) and drag individual .mts files from the STREAM folder into iMovie. The AVCHD package directory is:

User uploaded file

Many people point out correctly that this does not copy the metadata from the other folders in the package but I have never found a need for any of these and the most important info - the date/time of the clip is read by iMovie from the file creation date. I do this mostly because I usually only want to download a small selection from the camera memory card for a new project and don't want to wait for iMovie to analyse all the card contents (much of which may have already been imported at an earlier date). In any case I maintain a copy of the complete SD card as an offline archive as well as a backup copy of my iMovie libraries.

3 & 4. Either way the imovie library keeps unaltered (as far as I can tell - file size and extension are the same) copies of the .mts files in the "Original Media" folders situated within each Event and Project folder in the iMovie library package.

I hope this helps,

Geoff.

Importing AVCHD/MTS Files as an Archive and Preserving File Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.