Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove mcAfee Site Advisor fro Safari search bar

I recently made the mistake of installing McAfee anti virus software on my iMac. I used the McAfee uninstaller that came with the app to uninstall it. Afterwards, the McAfee logo and “secure search” box showed up in the Safari Search bar. The little stinker will not be allowed to go into the trash. A little poking around told me that McAfee leaves it there as a “courtesy”???. It took a while to figure out how to remove it. The key is to recognize that it is a plug-in. Here is how you remove that plug in:

Safari 8 (Yosemite): If you need to remove a plug-in

To Remove a plug-in you recently added

1. Quit Safari.
  2. Locate the plug-in. Plug-ins are usually installed in one of these folders:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
    To open this folder in the Finder, choose Go > Computer, open the startup disk (usually named Macintosh HD), open the Library folder, then open the Internet Plug-ins folder. (my McAfee plug in was located here)

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
    To open this folder in the Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Go > Library, then open the Internet Plug-ins folder.

3. Remove the plug-in you recently added. (Drag it to the trash)
  4. Reopen Safari.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), null

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 6:18 PM

There are no replies.

remove mcAfee Site Advisor fro Safari search bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.