Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 Slowww internet

Hello everyone!

I just recently got a new (old) mac pro 1.1 and have been having some internet speed troubles.

I updated the OS to Lion and went through all of the updates, put in a solid state disk drive, installed the airport card for wireless internet, and put in a new graphics card (5770).

Both ethernet and wireless internet is very slow, with a large ping as well. I checked all of the settings in the network preferences for the mac with my dad's more recent mac pro, so there is no problem there.

I ran an internet speed test on both my mac pro 1.1 and my dad's mac pro, and his read much faster speeds than mine, but the settings are the same and are both on the same network.

What could be the cause of the slow internet?

Are there some diagnostics I could run? And how would I go about doing those?

Thanks for helping a newbie out! Being my first mac, I have lots to learn.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 7:36 PM

4 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:14 AM in response to shaunfromgilbert

There are two ethernet ports. Try each. And directly connect to the MODEM? swapping cables though I would assume that was the first thing you did. Reset the motherboard too.

Ethernet ports can be affected and even damaged according to talking to APC and why not only should incoming broadband be protected (and here Cyberpower UPS did not cause trouble but APC RS1500 did), and protect downstread from modem to router - can still be more 'juice' than enet ports can take - all so as to protect your Mac from storms, outage, surges and spikes over the line.

I had a storm knock out modem once, we get a lot, so I am more careful now to minimize risks... and I have seen/heard of G5's ethernet port being taken out. In some cases might need PCIe ethernet card.

Upgrading to Lion. I am really no fan of OS upgrades - a clean install is far better and works - if you did, like when you installed the SSD (TRIM enabled? what model SSD?)

Today, the fastest are XP941 256GB or Apricorn PCIe SATA III, though any good SSD even in SATA II drive bays (or the ODD ports) makes a huge difference - so even if internet is slow the system should not be.

If you have not done a clean OS install, post output from Etrecheck. Maybe you installed something that is of interest and affecting your system.

Jul 6, 2015 11:19 PM in response to The hatter

Hey guys!

Thanks for the helpful tips and tricks, but I found that the problem was in the network, not the computer. Plugged straight into the modem, the computer ran as fast as my father's mac pro. The extension of the wireless internet made the speed reduced. Took down the network extensions (apple airport express) which were slowing the network down. We installed a power line ethernet adapter to use both for my computer and my father's, and both are running faster than before. Switched to a roaming network for the airport expresses and it solved the problem.

Thanks again!

Mac Pro 1.1 Slowww internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.