Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backward/Forward Compatibility between iWork '09 and current Numbers...?

I just received a brand new 15" Macbook Pro w/Retina, which has been updated to 10.10.4 and has the most recent version of Numbers.

In addition, I have a 21.5" iMac from 2011, that is running 10.7.4 which does not have Numbers and will also never be updated beyond that.

Never used Numbers before this passed week, but I'm finding that it is rather simple and easy to use for my needs. I'd like to transfer documents between my laptop and desktop, but to download the current version of Numbers from the App Store, I would first need to update the firmware on my iMac. Unfortunately, that's not something that will happen for me at this point.

However... I notice that Numbers has an option to export to an iWork '09 document. If I purchase iWork '09 (amazon still has it), and install that on my iMac... can I open and share the document between both versions of Numbers on both systems?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:26 AM

Hi spooie,

• Numbers 3 (the version on your Macbook Pro) will open documents saved in Numbers '09.
  • You are correct that Numbers 3 will export to Numbers '09 format.
  • Numbers '09 will not open Numbers 3 documents. Use the export feature.
  • Numbers 3 does not support Categories, but SUMIF or COUNTIF provide handy workarounds (and are superior if you want to graph or further process the data.)
  • Numbers 3 does not have the editable Print View of Numbers '09, it has only a non-editable Print Preview. Again, there are various workarounds; the main one is to organise your document with printing (or screen display) in mind. If all else fails, export to Numbers '09 and organise your printing there.

I use both Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 with very few problems. If you have trouble, there is always this forum to help you.

I can not advise you on the Amazon purchase, because I have not gone down that path. It may be that you have to download a minor update to bring Numbers '09 into line with OS X 10.7.4. Perhaps another user can advise you on that.

Happy Numbering!

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 1:26 AM in response to spooie

Hi spooie,

• Numbers 3 (the version on your Macbook Pro) will open documents saved in Numbers '09.
  • You are correct that Numbers 3 will export to Numbers '09 format.
  • Numbers '09 will not open Numbers 3 documents. Use the export feature.
  • Numbers 3 does not support Categories, but SUMIF or COUNTIF provide handy workarounds (and are superior if you want to graph or further process the data.)
  • Numbers 3 does not have the editable Print View of Numbers '09, it has only a non-editable Print Preview. Again, there are various workarounds; the main one is to organise your document with printing (or screen display) in mind. If all else fails, export to Numbers '09 and organise your printing there.

I use both Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 with very few problems. If you have trouble, there is always this forum to help you.

I can not advise you on the Amazon purchase, because I have not gone down that path. It may be that you have to download a minor update to bring Numbers '09 into line with OS X 10.7.4. Perhaps another user can advise you on that.

Happy Numbering!

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 6, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks.

I then would imagine that Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 can be installed concurrently on the same machine? Is this possible even after Numbers 3 has been installed first? There is a "family" pack available for a little more, but I'd be willing to pick it up if it let me use it across both machines.

Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2015 3:48 PM in response to spooie

Hi spooie,

The two programs work fine together, can be running at the same time. You should not have a problem installing '09. You do want it upgraded to 2.3. It can be a little annoying shifting docs between them in the long haul or even frequently. There are some things that '09 can do that 3 doesn't support and versa/vise- you may find yourself recreating aspects of your tables in the different programs.

quinn

Jul 7, 2015 10:17 AM in response to spooie

Hello

Here's the updater you need to apply to iWork 09 programmes under OS X 10.7 or later.

iWork 9.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

And here's some due cautions.

1) Sort behaviour on inter-cell references is completely different in Numbers v2 and v3. Therefore it must be noted that Numbers v3 is NOT compatible with Numbers v2 regarding sort operation.

2) When you have both Numbers v2 and v3 installed in your system, double clicking *.numbers file will let Numbers v3 open it (unless Numbers v2 is already running and Numbers v3 is not). Opening Numbers v2 file with Numbers v3 will convert it to Numbers v3 file which Numbers v2 cannot open. And in recent OSes, some document-based applications including Numbers v2 and v3 will auto-save file regardless of user's intention. So be very careful not to open Numebrs v2 file with Numbers v3 application unintentionally. (If you don't use Numbers v3 at all, you may simply delete it from your disk to prevent it from touching your Numbers v2 files.)

Regards,

H

Backward/Forward Compatibility between iWork '09 and current Numbers...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.