Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To those with Kernel Panics on iMac 5k

Hey Apple community!

After suffering for quite some time, and after much trial and error. I believe I can accurately theorize on the root of the problem that many of us have endured.

I went through all my hardware ( disconnected external peripherals ), software ( reformatted ); removed third-party RAM ( Crucial ).

The word going around the Internet was that Apple RAM and Third-Party RAM did not play well together on the iMac5k.

This was a great hypothesis, however it is false ( to my knowledge and experience ). The culprit is the RAM Apple has sent out with the iMac5k:

HMT451S6AFR8A 4GB 1RX8 PC3L - 12800S

The base model, which I purchased; arrives with two of these installed, on slots 1 and 3. Slots 2 and 4 are both empty.

I am currently running my iMac 5k with both Crucial 8GB, at 16GB ( instead of the 24GB, which I would have if the Apple RAM

worked as intended ).

For those of you who continue experiencing errors, and you've attempted all other way arounds; try this one.

It has worked for me.

Cheers,

Paul

PS. Apple send me some RAM, thanks 🙂

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:37 PM

Unfortunately, these are user to user forums and Apple does not participate here. If the original RAM is defective, please contact Apple and/or take your Mac and the RAM to your nearest Genius Bar for a free evaluation and troubleshooting. If you are still covered by the warranty, they will gladly replace it if it is defective.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 9:37 PM in response to paul-vincent

Unfortunately, these are user to user forums and Apple does not participate here. If the original RAM is defective, please contact Apple and/or take your Mac and the RAM to your nearest Genius Bar for a free evaluation and troubleshooting. If you are still covered by the warranty, they will gladly replace it if it is defective.

Jul 5, 2015 9:45 PM in response to markwmsn

Hey Mark,

When I first received my iMac and went through installation instructions, it was having the same issue. This was before I had installed Crucial RAM.

I recently removed the Crucial RAM and operated my iMac on a clean re-install; and ran it for 48 hours. I continued to have Kernel Panics.

I adjusted the placement of the Apple RAM, from 1-3, to 1-2, to 2-4, to 3-4. It continued to crash.

I have removed the Apple RAM, and installed the Crucial RAM on 1-2. I has been running for 48 hours, without a hitch.

Cheers,

Paul

To those with Kernel Panics on iMac 5k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.