Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac as a display for Macbook Pro

I'm trying to connect a Macbook Pro to an iMac so that I can use the larger display.

My understanding was all I needed was a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable and then using Command F2 on the iMac, it would display the content of the Macbook screen.

Unfortunately nothing happens when I hit Command F2 on the iMac.

Both pieces of hardware are 2014/2015

Is there something I'm missing to get this working?

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 8:34 PM

17 replies

Jul 5, 2015 9:38 PM in response to Bernadette100

Apologies all, I don't have the Retina 5K iMac. I've got the iMac 27" late 2013.

I've also just tried it with an iMac 27" mid 2011 and it doesn't work there either. On both displays, the background screen of the Macbook displays on the iMac but you can't see the icon or menu bars or navigate with either the mouse or the keyboard.

Is there some other trick to this?

Jul 5, 2015 9:44 PM in response to Bernadette100

Bernadette100 wrote:

I've also just tried it with an iMac 27" mid 2011 and it doesn't work there either. On both displays, the background screen of the Macbook displays on the iMac but you can't see the icon or menu bars or navigate with either the mouse or the keyboard.

Is there some other trick to this?

Are you trying to use mirroring (same image on both screens) or extended display (separate images)?

Jul 5, 2015 10:12 PM in response to Bernadette100

There are two mirroring-related options in System Preferences > Displays:

At the bottom of all tabs there is "Show mirroring options in the menu bar" which, as it says, controls whether the icon appears in the menu bar.

Slightly above that, in the Arrangement tab only, there is "Mirror Displays" which is the option that actually turns on mirroring.

Which do you have turned on?

If you have the options icon displaying, you can also turn on mirroring by selecting "Mirror Builtin Display" from the menu that drops from that icon.

The Arrangement tab is also where you tell the MBP how the iMac display relates to the MBP display spatially (to the right, to the left, higher, lower).

None of this is dependent on the external display being an iMac; they work that way with other displays.

I don't have an iMac to test, but I think the iMac's keyboard and mouse are supposed to "go dead" in Target Display Mode. It's acting as a display, not a display + keyboard + mouse. (I have read that it also processes its own background tasks.)

Jul 5, 2015 10:40 PM in response to Bernadette100

If you don't see an Arrangement tab between Display and Colour/Color, then the MBP isn't seeing the iMac as a second display at all.

"Air Display" is a non-Apple software to use iPad/iPhone as a secondary display. It is possible that it is interfering with the hardware function you are trying to use.

The icon that "Show mirroring options..." shows is an AirPlay logo (open rectangle with a filled triangle piercing the bottom line), even for hardwired external displays.

P.S. I'm calling it a night. Good luck with your issue.

Jul 27, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Bernadette100

Hi there,

i´ve red your posts carefully, but don´t found a answer to my scenario.

I own a iMac 27" (late 2009) with a mini display port and i just bought a MacBook Pro 13" Retina (early 2015) with the force trackpad. However, on my Macbook there´s only a HDMI and two Thunderbolt connector. Every 27" iMac since the late 2009 (not the 5K one) should be able to receive the video signal. HDMI to mini display port won´t work, i have tried it. Do i need a Thunderbolt (Macbook) to mini Display port (iMac) Adapter? I´ve red the apple-support-pages about the target display mode but i don´t understand how to connect the two computer.

i hope someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance

André

Jul 27, 2015 12:35 PM in response to FinPark

This table seems pretty straight forward:

See the list below for iMac models that support Target Display Mode, the type of cable you need to connect that model of iMac, and the kind of port you need on your other Mac.

iMacs you can use
as a display

Cable
you need

Port you need
on your other Mac

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2012 and later) Thunderbolt Thunderbolt

Using iMac as a display for Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.