Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie HD (iM6) after Yosemite...

Hello,

Like many others, I am discouraged that I bothered to upgrade my OS only to discover that iMovie HD (iM6) is no longer supported. I have tried the work-around that has been discussed: Finder>Applications>iMovieHD("right click")>show package contents>MacOS>iMovieHD which opens iM6 using the "Terminal". This workaround does seem to work, but I have read hints of another way.

I would like to create a partition on my hard-drive and re-load my older OS to be used in that partition. The problem is that I simply don't know how to do that? Could someone walk me through the process? Please assume that I don't know much about my computer (because I really don't). I LOVE iMovie 6, and I have hundreds of home movie projects that I have finished or am working on, and I simply MUST have this program back. I sincerely wish that I had not upgraded to Yosemite. I don't use my computer for anything fancy, and it was working just fine without the upgrade.

I have my original Install discs that came with my iMac. They say: "Mac OS Install Disc 1 & 2". My original OS was OS 10.5 and honestly, that would by fine with me. Can I open a partition and run OS 10.5 on it? I just want to be able to open and use iMovie 6 the way I always have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but again, PLEASE be specific.

Lincoln

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iMac 20-inch, Mid 2007, 2.4 GHz

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:58 AM

(Originally posted by Ziatron)

For the millions trying to use iMovie HD with Yosemite

Some people keep a separate hard drive or partition with Mavericks on it to avoid the below procedure. However, once you get the below set up, it's no big deal.

A while back, someone posted a "patch" to iMovie HD 06 that corrected the launching issue. For some reason, Apple removed the post.

Yosemite has a bug that incorrectly identifies iMovie 6 (a.k.a. iMovie HD) as not compatible. iMovie HD works fine with Yosemite.

Below is a workaround that many use until this bug is fixed.

> Find iMovie HD in your applications folder.

> Right click on it, and select “Show Package Contents”.

> You will then find a folder named "Contents”. Open it. Then open the folder named "MacOS”.

> There you will find "iMovie HD". Double-click on this, and iMovie HD will launch.

> Then create an alias. iMovie HD starts directly from the alias.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

(Originally posted by Ziatron)

For the millions trying to use iMovie HD with Yosemite

Some people keep a separate hard drive or partition with Mavericks on it to avoid the below procedure. However, once you get the below set up, it's no big deal.

A while back, someone posted a "patch" to iMovie HD 06 that corrected the launching issue. For some reason, Apple removed the post.

Yosemite has a bug that incorrectly identifies iMovie 6 (a.k.a. iMovie HD) as not compatible. iMovie HD works fine with Yosemite.

Below is a workaround that many use until this bug is fixed.

> Find iMovie HD in your applications folder.

> Right click on it, and select “Show Package Contents”.

> You will then find a folder named "Contents”. Open it. Then open the folder named "MacOS”.

> There you will find "iMovie HD". Double-click on this, and iMovie HD will launch.

> Then create an alias. iMovie HD starts directly from the alias.

Jul 6, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Klaus1

Thank you Klaus!

I meant to press the "solved my question" button, but I pressed "helpful" instead...

It is very helpful, but it also SOLVED my question!

Honestly, I do NOT plan to update again until I am sure that I can still use iMovie HD. I have tried the newer versions of iMovie, and they simply don't seem as intuitive or interactive. I am sure that there are things that I may be missing out on by sticking with the older iMovie HD (iMovie 6), but it does everything I want and need, and I am very comfortable with the program. "It just works" and it makes my projects quickly and beautifully.

Do you still use iMovie HD? Or have you moved on to the newer iMovie programs - or perhaps even Final Cut?

Thanks again! Lincoln

Imovie HD (iM6) after Yosemite...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.