Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhotos - not able to export to hard drive or disc

Wow. Can you please update your iPhoto. It really shouldn't be this hard to transfer my photos to a hard drive or a disc. Can't do either, MacBook Pro, OS Yosimite ver. 10.10.3 anyone else having a problem doing either, Please help or is there an app I could use besides iPhoto, it really isn't user friendly.

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:18 PM

8 replies

Jul 6, 2015 12:44 AM in response to maria41

1. You're not talking to Apple here. You're talking to other users who will try and help you.

2. It's not at all difficult to transfer photos to a Hard Drive or optical media.

3. There is no way anyone can help you if you don't tell us how exactly what you're trying to do: from your description it could be export from iPhoto, move part or all of the library - then how you're trying to do it, and then finally, where it breaks down for you.

Jul 6, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence...

I created an album...I selected the photos in the album, then I went to file, export, it said export 2, 419 items, I clicked export a pop up folder came for me to select a folder to export into, I did that and it shows a round circle that shows that its exporting, however, at picture 543, it just gets stuck and I never get passed that point. I am supposed to be able to drag that said folder into where I want it to copy to, however, it never gets to that point. So I hope this helps you help me.

Jul 6, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

That would be an easy fix, however, I tried just exporting 13 of them, and it is still stuck.

I never had this problem before, I could easily transfer 4k pics to my hard drive as back up. I love taking photos and my laptop gets pretty full so each year I put them on a hard drive. I don't want to store them on iCloud, as it seems as if this is something that apple is leading us towards. Like I said previously it shouldn't be this hard, just be able to copy and paste into hard drive as we were able to do before.

Very frustrated! Any other suggestions?

Jul 6, 2015 7:30 AM in response to maria41

Again, it's not difficult, but you have damage in your Library. So a first start will be to try rebuild it.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Going forward:

I love taking photos and my laptop gets pretty full so each year I put them on a hard drive.

Note two things:

1. By taking them out of iPhoto you lose the non-destuctive processing feature. If you don't wan that you might question if iPhoto is the app for you.

2. Using copy and paste won't get high quality version, just the sharing previews, which will be medium quality and missing metadata.

I don't want to store them on iCloud, as it seems as if this is something that apple is leading us towards.

Most pole users are now Mobile users. People with Phones and iPads. They regard the Cloud as a feature and that's the demand Apple is responding to. But it's no compulsory on any App. You can simply just not use it.

Also, save yourself some bother and just put the whole Library on the external.

Regards

TD

Jul 6, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

Again, you say it's not difficult, and I don't have damage in my Library as I see the new update from iPhoto to Photos now, and I am convinced that it is not my computer, as I have spent most of my day doing all of the things you suggested and I am still unable to put my photos on disc or external hard drive, let alone trying to export them to just the desk top. Trying to export from a couple of pictures to all of them. One thing this did allow me to do was to clean out all the unwanted photos that I didn't need. So my day was not wasted. I give up and as I read some of the comments and some of your replies to their same or similar problems. Again, apple needs an update to their "Photo" app.

Not withstanding your wisdom. Thank you so much for your help.

Jul 7, 2015 1:40 PM in response to maria41

I am still unable to put my photos on disc or external hard drive, let alone trying to export them to just the desk top.

Have you tried Option-dragging the thumbnails to a folder on the Desktop? That produces a copy of the original/master image file. If you can do that it's a workaround until you get your library repaired and working again.

User uploaded file

IPhotos - not able to export to hard drive or disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.